1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Lorentz Transformations vs Galilean Transformation

1. Mar 12, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2017-3-12_21-36-0.png

2. The attempt at a solution
    upload_2017-3-12_21-38-52.png

3. Relevant equations

In the first problems of that book i was using the Galilean transformations where

V1 = V2 + V

But if i use that then
    V1 = 0.945 - 0.6
    V1 = 0.345

Is not the same result, so im confused.
    In this new problems we are using Lorentz transformations.
    When i should use Galilean transformations and when to use Lorentz transformations?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 12, 2017 #2
    Lorentz transformations should always yield you the correct answer, but Galilean transformations are typically accurate for speeds much less than the speed of light. One way to think of it is that anytime you are using units in terms of c, you should be working in terms of Lorentz transformations. I'm not aware of an actual official cutoff point, but any typical speeds you're going to find here on earth you can use Newtonian physics, with the exception of perhaps objects in orbit such as our GPS satellites.

4. Mar 13, 2017 #3

David Lewis

Gold Member

It depends on how sensitive the phenomenom under investigation is to relativistic effects. For example, even though electrons (usually) move slowly through a current carrying wire, a small amount of length contraction causes significant magnetic field to arise.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted