Question about the Two-Body systems

• Thread starter Ronel
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Systems
In summary, two blocks of identical material on a level surface are connected by a light rope. An applied force of 55N [right] causes the blocks to accelerate. The magnitude of friction on the blocks is 44.1 N and the resulting acceleration is 0.363 m/s^2. When the force on friction on the 10-kg block is 14.7 N, the tension in the rope connecting the two blocks can be calculated using the ratios of frictional force, accelerational force, and tension in the ropes. It is not necessary to know the friction of the 10-kg block (Ff1) to solve for the tension in the rope.
Ronel
Two blocks of identical material are connected by a light rope on a level surface. An applied force of 55N
causes the blocks to accelerate. While in motion, the magnitude of the force friction on the block is 44.1 N. Calculate the acceleration of the blocks.

20 kg|---------------------10kg | -----------------

(sorry about the diagram it looks ugly)

Fnet= Fapp - Ff
Fnet= 55 N - 44.1
Fnet= 10.9N

Fnet=ma
a=Fnet/mt

a=10.9 N/30 kg which is equal to .363

Here's another question: Refer to the information above. The force on friction on the 10-kg block has a magnitude of 14.7 N.

a) calculate the tension in the rope connecting the two blocks

My solution

Ff= μ Fn

μ= Ff/Fn
μ= 44.1/196.2
μ= .2247

I know how to get the Ff2 this is what I did -----> Total Friction(44.1) - 14.7(Ff1 =Friction of 10Kg) = Ff2= 29.2 (20Kg)
My question is can you still answer the a) question without knowing the Friction of 10kg ? (Ff1) I got question a right but just wondering if you can still answer it without know the Friction of 10kg (Ff1).​

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't see where you arrive at the tension.
The easiest way is to think about the following ratios:
- frictional force, blk1 v. blk2 v. combined
- accelerational force, blk1 v. blk2 v. combined
- tension in RH rope v. tension in LH rope

1. What is a Two-Body system?

A Two-Body system refers to a system in which two objects interact with each other through gravitational forces. This can include planets, stars, or any other celestial bodies.

2. How is the motion of a Two-Body system calculated?

The motion of a Two-Body system is calculated using Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the difference between a stable and unstable Two-Body system?

A stable Two-Body system is one in which the objects remain in their orbits without any external forces disrupting their motion. An unstable Two-Body system is one in which the objects' orbits are constantly changing due to external forces, leading to potential collisions or ejections.

4. Can a Two-Body system have more than two objects?

No, a Two-Body system by definition only includes two objects. However, there can be multiple Two-Body systems within a larger system, such as in a binary star system.

5. How does the mass and distance between two objects affect their Two-Body system?

The mass of the objects directly affects the strength of the gravitational force between them. The distance between the objects also plays a significant role, as the force decreases as the distance between the objects increases. This ultimately determines the stability and motion of the Two-Body system.