1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about waves (velocity, tension)

1. Mar 9, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two steel wires are stretched with the same tension. The first wire has a diameter of 0.580mm and the second wire has a diameter of 0.88mm. If the speed of waves traveling along the first wire is 54m/s, what is the speed of waves traveling along the second wire?

2. Relevant equations
    v=sqrt.(F/miu) (miu is mass/length)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried to make a proportion. 0.58/54=0.88/x. I got the incorrect answer, though. The answer should be 35.6m/s.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 9, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why a proportion? That is not the formula for speed of waves in a wire with linear density μ under tension F.

4. Mar 9, 2013 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

There is a square root in the equation. Density (mass/length) is proportional to the squared velocity, not the velocity itself.

5. Mar 9, 2013 #4
    Okay, but then what should I do?

6. Mar 9, 2013 #5
    I know. I put the formula as v=sqrt. (F/miu)

7. Mar 9, 2013 #6
    Oh alright I see what you are saying. So a proportion is not the way to go here. But what should I do? I feel like I'm missing the information. Don't I need force or mass?

8. Mar 9, 2013 #7

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

v = sqrt(F/μ) is correct. Did you still not get the right answer? Are your units consistent?

9. Mar 9, 2013 #8
    I don't think I am solving it right

10. Mar 9, 2013 #9

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

A ratio is a good idea, but you cannot use the velocity directly, you have to use the squared velocity (=a quantity proportional to μ).

11. Mar 9, 2013 #10

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What did you get for v?

12. Mar 10, 2013 #11
    You are on the right track. The mass per unit length is PRORTIONAL to the diameter squared.
    The mass per unit length of the 0.88mm dia wire is (0.88/0.58) squared = 2.3
    Use this in your equation for speed (dont forget the square root !!!!) and you should get 35m/s

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted