Question about waves (velocity, tension)

In summary, the speed of waves traveling along the second wire is 2.3 times the speed of waves traveling along the first wire.
NicoleRosalyn

Homework Statement

Two steel wires are stretched with the same tension. The first wire has a diameter of 0.580mm and the second wire has a diameter of 0.88mm. If the speed of waves traveling along the first wire is 54m/s, what is the speed of waves traveling along the second wire?

Homework Equations

v=sqrt.(F/miu) (miu is mass/length)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to make a proportion. 0.58/54=0.88/x. I got the incorrect answer, though. The answer should be 35.6m/s.

Physics news on Phys.org
NicoleRosalyn said:

Homework Statement

Two steel wires are stretched with the same tension. The first wire has a diameter of 0.580mm and the second wire has a diameter of 0.88mm. If the speed of waves traveling along the first wire is 54m/s, what is the speed of waves traveling along the second wire?

Homework Equations

v=sqrt.(F/miu) (miu is mass/length)

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to make a proportion. 0.58/54=0.88/x. I got the incorrect answer, though. The answer should be 35.6m/s.

Why a proportion? That is not the formula for speed of waves in a wire with linear density μ under tension F.

There is a square root in the equation. Density (mass/length) is proportional to the squared velocity, not the velocity itself.

Okay, but then what should I do?

mfb said:
There is a square root in the equation. Density (mass/length) is proportional to the squared velocity, not the velocity itself.

I know. I put the formula as v=sqrt. (F/miu)

Oh alright I see what you are saying. So a proportion is not the way to go here. But what should I do? I feel like I'm missing the information. Don't I need force or mass?

NicoleRosalyn said:
I know. I put the formula as v=sqrt. (F/miu)

v = sqrt(F/μ) is correct. Did you still not get the right answer? Are your units consistent?

rude man said:
v = sqrt(F/μ) is correct. Did you still not get the right answer? Are your units consistent?

I don't think I am solving it right

NicoleRosalyn said:
So a proportion is not the way to go here
A ratio is a good idea, but you cannot use the velocity directly, you have to use the squared velocity (=a quantity proportional to μ).

NicoleRosalyn said:
I don't think I am solving it right

What did you get for v?

You are on the right track. The mass per unit length is PRORTIONAL to the diameter squared.
The mass per unit length of the 0.88mm dia wire is (0.88/0.58) squared = 2.3
Use this in your equation for speed (dont forget the square root !) and you should get 35m/s

1. What is the formula for wave velocity?

The formula for wave velocity is v = λf, where v is the velocity in meters per second (m/s), λ is the wavelength in meters (m), and f is the frequency in hertz (Hz).

2. How does tension affect wave velocity?

Tension has a direct effect on wave velocity. As tension increases, the velocity of the wave also increases. This is because higher tension means the wave can travel through the medium with less resistance, resulting in a faster velocity.

3. Can wave velocity change?

Yes, wave velocity can change depending on the properties of the medium through which the wave is traveling. For example, the velocity of a wave traveling through water will be different than the velocity of a wave traveling through air.

4. What is the relationship between wavelength and wave velocity?

The wavelength of a wave is directly proportional to its velocity. This means that as the wavelength increases, the velocity also increases. This relationship is described by the formula v = fλ, where f is the frequency of the wave.

5. How does the type of wave affect its velocity?

The type of wave can greatly affect its velocity. For example, sound waves and electromagnetic waves travel at different velocities because they have different properties and travel through different mediums. Additionally, the amplitude and frequency of a wave can also affect its velocity.