Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question about what index notation is telling me

1. Mar 19, 2009 #1
    I'm trying to simplify the expression

[tex]
    (\hat{r} \times \vec{\nabla}) \times \hat{r},
    [/tex]

where [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] is the radial unit vector, using index notation. I think I'm right to write this as:

[tex]
    ((\hat{r} \times \vec{\nabla}) \times \hat{r})_i = \varepsilon_{ijk}(\varepsilon_{jmn}r_m\partial_n)r_k.
    [/tex]

But when I employ the contraction

[tex]
    \varepsilon_{ijk}\varepsilon_{jmn} = \delta_{im}\delta_{kn} - \delta_{in}\delta_{km}
    [/tex]

and simplify, what I wind up with is this:

[tex]
    r_i \partial_k r_k - r_k\partial_ir_k.
    [/tex]

I'm thinking that this first term becomes [itex]\hat{r} (\nabla \cdot \hat{r})[/itex]...is that right? And what about the second term? I'm kind of clueless as to what to do with that.

I might have made other mistakes here, though, so I'd appreciate someone pointing them out. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2009 #2

Ben Niehoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I would expand r in its Cartesian components first; otherwise you'll have to look up the correct formula for the curl in spherical coordinates, and things could get messy. So write

[tex]\hat r = \frac{\vec r}{r} = \frac{x_i}{r} {\vec e_i}[/tex]

Just remember that r (the radial length) is actually a function of x, y, and z:

[tex]r(x,y,z) = \sqrt{x^2 + y^2 + z^2}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook