What is the Gradient of a Polar Function?

• Thread starter dimpledur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gradient
In summary, the conversation discusses a practice problem involving the gradient operation and a function defined in terms of polar and cartesian coordinates. The goal is to find the function in terms of x and y and determine if the inequality |\nabla f|\leq \sqrt{2} holds for all points where the gradient is defined. The conversation also touches on manipulating equations and simplifying expressions.
dimpledur

Homework Statement

Hello all,
I encountered this practice problem for my midterm tomorrow involving the gradient operation.
Let (r, θ) denote the polar coordinates and (x, y) denote the cartesian coordinates of a point P in the plane. A function is defined via f(P)=xsinθ away from the origin, and let f(O)=0 at the origin O.
Find f(x, y)
Also, is the inequality [tex]|\nabla f|\leq \sqrt{2}[/tex] true( at all points where the gradient is defined)?Not sure at all how to go about starting this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
Well we have f(P) = xsin(theta). So we have the x in the equation, which is good. But we have a sin(theta) and we have to write that in terms of x and y. Basically we want xsin(theta) to be written in terms of x and y. So how do you do that? I think to answer the gradient question you first have to write the equation for f in terms of x and y, find the gradient, and then work from there.

Okay.
[tex]sin\theta=\frac{y}{\sqrt{y^2+x^2}}[/tex]
Thus, [tex]f(x, y)=\frac{xy}{\sqrt{y^2+x^2}}[/tex]

Moreoever, [tex]\nabla =[\frac{y}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}-\frac{x^2y}{(x^2+y^2)^{3/2}}]i+[\frac{x}{\sqrt{x^2+y^2}}-\frac{y^2x}{(x^2+y^2)^{3/2}}]j[/tex].

I understand that the inequality is merely the length of the gradient vector. Do I actually have to compute this in order to determine if that inequality is true, or is there an easier way?

I'm going to bed. I changed my post like 3 times, so obviously I am tired. After computing the length of the gradient vector, how does one determine if it is indeed less than or equal to a particular number for the domain?

The short answer to your question is no, there's no faster way. I'm tired too, so I'm assuming that you calculated the gradient correctly. You can make the denominators the same and get that the gradient is y^3 i + x^3 j. Find x and y so that the length of the gradient vector is more than sqrt 2.

Hello again, I tried manipulating the equation but I cannot seem to eliminate x as you have...

Actually, I'm pretty sure that it simplifies to
[tex]\frac{y^3}{(x^2+y^2)^{3/2}}[/tex]

1. What is a gradient?

A gradient is a mathematical concept that represents the rate of change of a function with respect to its variables. It is often visualized as a slope or a direction in which a function increases or decreases.

2. How is a gradient calculated?

A gradient is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of a multi-variable function with respect to each of its variables. The resulting values are then combined into a vector, which represents the direction and magnitude of the gradient.

3. What is the significance of a gradient?

The gradient is important in many fields of science and engineering as it helps us understand the behavior of complex systems and optimize their performance. It is also used in various applications such as machine learning and computer graphics.

4. How is a gradient used in optimization?

In optimization, the gradient is used to find the direction in which a function increases or decreases the fastest. This information is then used to iteratively adjust the parameters of a system or model in order to reach the optimal solution.

5. Can a gradient have a negative value?

Yes, a gradient can have a negative value. This indicates that the function is decreasing in that direction. A gradient with a magnitude of 0 represents a flat surface, where the function does not change in any direction.