Calculating Tension in a Vertical Rope with Variable Mass: A Scientific Inquiry

• Thread starter Chandasouk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tension
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the tension in a rope attached to the ceiling as a gymnast of mass m climbs, hangs motionless, accelerates up, and slides down the rope with different magnitudes of acceleration. The tension in the rope can be expressed in terms of the gymnast's mass and either the acceleration or the acceleration combined with the force of gravity.
Chandasouk

Homework Statement

A gymnast of mass m climbs a vertical rope attached to the ceiling. You can ignore the weight of the rope.

Calculate the tension in the rope if the gymnast climbs at a constant rate.

Calculate the tension in the rope if the gymnast hangs motionless on the rope.

Calculate the tension in the rope if the gymnast accelerates up the rope with an acceleration of magnitude a.

Calculate the tension in the rope if the gymnast slides down the rope with a downward acceleration of magnitude a.

For the first one, they want you to answer in terms of m, well, in variables in general.

I know for the first one that if you travel at a constant velocity, there is no acceleration and no net force so they will both equal zero. But how would I express that using the variable m which is her mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about Newton's 2nd law...draw a free body diagram of the situation. because they want the answer in variables, don't consider the magnitude of the acceleration!

T = mg for the first one and T = mg for the second question it asks me

Correct me if I am wrong, but for these two questions

Calculate the tension in the rope if the gymnast accelerates up the rope with an acceleration of magnitude a.

Calculate the tension in the rope if the gymnast slides down the rope with a downward acceleration of magnitude a.

The first would be T = M(g+a) and second would be T = M(g-a) ?

right on! very good.

What is tension?

Tension is a force that is created in an object when it is stretched or pulled in opposite directions.

What causes tension?

Tension is caused by the interaction of forces acting on an object. These forces can be both external, such as gravity or applied forces, or internal, such as structural forces within the object.

How is tension measured?

Tension is typically measured in units of force, such as newtons or pounds. It can also be measured indirectly by observing the deformation or elongation of an object under tension.

What are some real-world examples of tension?

Some common examples of tension include the tension in a rope or cable when it is stretched between two points, the tension in a rubber band when it is pulled, and the tension in a bridge's cables that hold it in place.

How does tension affect structures?

Tension can have a significant impact on the stability and strength of structures. If a structure is not designed to withstand tension, it can lead to failure or collapse. However, tension can also be useful in structures such as suspension bridges, where it helps distribute weight and support the structure.