1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question of electricity net force

1. Mar 29, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Three point charges are located on the positive x-axis of a coordinate system. Charge q1 = 1.0 nC is 2.0 cm from the origin, charge q2 = -3.5 nC is 4.0 cm from the origin and charge q3 = 6.0 nC located at the origin. What is the net force ((a)magnitude and (b) direction) on charge q1 = 1.0 nCexerted by the other two charges?

The online homework grader is marknig my answer for part a wrong. Can someone tell me whats wrong with my solution for part a? My work is in the attachment.

2. Relevant equations

see attachment

3. The attempt at a solution

see the attachment for my solution. The online homework grader is saying my answer is wrong.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2016 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Check the locations of the individual charges. q3 is at the origin according the problem description. Your image has it off to the right.

4. Mar 29, 2016 #3

berkeman

It looks like you maybe placed the charges in the wrong spots? q3 is at the origin, q1 is at 2cm and q2 is at 4cm. So there is a repulsive force to the right from q3 on q1, and an attractive force to the right from q2 on q1...

EDIT: Rats, rats, rats, rats, rats! :cry:

5. Mar 29, 2016 #4
    if the pic isnt clear enough, here is a close up.
    oh i fixed that. [tex] F_{q3q1} [/tex] should be 1.35x10^-4. The answer though is sitll wrong. I subtract the two forces because one pair is attractive while the other force is repulsive. The answer I get is 5.625x10^-5. The answer from homework grader gave me is 2.1x10^-4. This is what you would get if you add the two forces. Why would you add them?

6. Mar 29, 2016 #5

gneill

What directions do the two force vectors point? Make a sketch.

7. Mar 29, 2016 #6
    oh yeah. i see the problem. thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted