What is the new angular speed of the merry-go-round after a child hops on?

F = ma, τ = Iα … they are both (linear/angular) force times (linear/angular) acceleration :smile:
Paymemoney

Homework Statement

A playground merry-go-round of radius R=2.00m has a moment of intertia [tex]I=250kg.m^2[/tex] and is rotating at 10 rev/min (rpm) about a frictionless vertical axle. Facing the axle, a 25.0kg child hops onto the merry-go-round from the ground and manages to sit down on its edge. What is the new angular speed of the merry-go-round?

Homework Equations

[tex]\tau=rF[/tex]

[tex]\tau=I\alpha[/tex]

[tex]\omega final = \omega initial + \alpha t[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have done this, however my answer is incorrect.

[tex]\tau=rF[/tex]

[tex]\tau=2*25a[/tex]

[tex]\tau=50a[/tex]

[tex]\tau=Im^2[/tex]

[tex]50a=250\alpha[/tex]

[tex]v=\frac{x}{t}[/tex]

[tex]1.047=\frac{2}{t}[/tex]

[tex]t=2.094[/tex]

so...
[tex]50*{\omega}{t}=250\alpha[/tex]

[tex]50*\frac{1.047}{2.094}=250\alpha[/tex]

[tex]\alpha=\frac{25}{250}[/tex]

[tex]\alpha=0.1[/tex]

now to find the final angular speed
[tex]\omega final = \omega initial + \alpha t[/tex]

[tex]\omega final = 1.047 + 0.1*2.094[/tex]

[tex]\omega final = 1.2564rad/s[/tex]

Also a quick question can someone explain to me what is the difference between the
[tex]\tau=rF[/tex] & [tex]\tau=I\alpha[/tex] equations??
I'm not quite sure if this is correct; Is the [tex]\tau=rF[/tex] normally used for small rotating mass, and [tex]\tau=I\alpha[/tex] is used for a large rotating body.

P.S

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Paymemoney! :smile:

(have a tau: τ and an omega: ω and an alpha: α and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
Paymemoney said:
A playground merry-go-round of radius R=2.00m has a moment of intertia [tex]I=250kg.m^2[/tex] and is rotating at 10 rev/min (rpm) about a frictionless vertical axle. Facing the axle, a 25.0kg child hops onto the merry-go-round from the ground and manages to sit down on its edge. What is the new angular speed of the merry-go-round?

Homework Equations

[tex]\tau=rF[/tex] …

No … "facing the axle" mans that there is no external torque …

start again, using only conservation of angular momentum. :smile:
Also a quick question can someone explain to me what is the difference between the
[tex]\tau=rF[/tex] & [tex]\tau=I\alpha[/tex] equations??
I'm not quite sure if this is correct; Is the [tex]\tau=rF[/tex] normally used for small rotating mass, and [tex]\tau=I\alpha[/tex] is used for a large rotating body.

τ = r x F tells you how much the torque is

τ = Iα tells you what the torque does :wink:

(and so r x F = Iα tells you what the force does)

When you are talking about what the torque does, do you mean if it slowing down or accelerating?

more than that …

i mean that, just as (linear) force F tells you the (linear) acceleration a (of a body with mass m),

torque τ tells you the angular acceleration α (of a body with moment of inertia I)

… they both tell you exactly what the force or torque does to the body :smile:

1. What is angular speed?

Angular speed is the rate at which an object rotates or revolves around a fixed point, measured in radians per second (rad/s) or revolutions per minute (RPM). It is a measure of how fast the angular position of an object changes over time.

2. How is angular speed different from linear speed?

Angular speed and linear speed are two different measures of an object's motion. Angular speed is the rate at which an object rotates, while linear speed is the rate at which an object moves in a straight line. Angular speed is measured in radians per second (rad/s) or revolutions per minute (RPM), while linear speed is measured in meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

3. How is angular speed calculated?

Angular speed can be calculated by dividing the change in angular position (in radians) by the change in time (in seconds). It can also be calculated by dividing the circumference of the circular path traveled by the object by the time it takes to complete one revolution.

4. What factors can affect angular speed?

The factors that can affect angular speed include the radius of the circular path, the force applied to the object, and the mass of the object. An increase in any of these factors can result in an increase in angular speed, while a decrease in these factors can result in a decrease in angular speed.

5. How is angular speed related to angular velocity?

Angular speed and angular velocity are closely related, but they are not the same. Angular velocity is a vector quantity that includes both the magnitude (angular speed) and direction of the rotation. In other words, angular velocity takes into account the direction of rotation, while angular speed does not. However, as the magnitude of the angular velocity increases, so does the angular speed.