1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on branch of engineering

1. May 13, 2010 #1
    This may be a strange question, but humor it if you would. I have perhaps watched one too many science fiction shows, but I digress. If one wanted to get into a field, say, involving cyborgs or some such, what would that be? What if one wanted to put a brain or transfer consciousness into a fully artificial body, not unlike an android or something. Would it be something like biomedical, mechanical, something else entirely, impossible, or too many types of fields to study?

2. jcsd
  3. May 13, 2010 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Welcome to PF.

Most of the time, when you are dealing with a complex machine, whether it be a space shuttle, car, or cyborg, most major disciplines of engineering are involved. The broader fields of mechanical and electrical are essentially always represented, but if you look hard enough, you'll even find civil and environmental engineering in the space program.

So don't think in terms of wanting to build an entire cyborg yourself, just think about the most interesting part and get into that field of study. Do you like the mechanics of making it move? Mechanical engineering. The computer hardware and controls? Electrical engineering. Programming the intelligence? Computer engineering.

4. May 14, 2010 #3
    Good, this is what I was thinking, too. Some machines are far too complex for any one thing to be it wholey. It takes a team doing these sorts of things. Thank you for your insight.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook