Question on electron orbitals?

In summary, the two possible electron orbital configurations for W+6 are [Xe]6s1 4f12 5d1 and [Xe]6s2 4f7 5d5, while for Au+ and Au+3 they are [Xe]6s1 4f14 5d9 and [Xe]6s1 4f14 5d8 respectively. When ions lose electrons, they lose them from the highest energy level first.
hiddenvariabl

Homework Statement

What are the two possible electron orbital configurations of W+6, Au+, and Au+3.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I know Tungsten should initially be [Xe]6s2 4f14 5d4 and Gold should initially be [Xe]6s1 4f14 5d10.

From what I remember of intro chem one configuration for W+6 was [Xe]6s1 4f12 and for the other I said [Xe]6s2 4f7 5d5 but does that make any sense? I have doubts.

For Au I said Au+ was [Xe]6s1 4f14 5d9 and Au+3 was [Xe]6s1 4f14 5d7.

Am I on the right track? I used to know this but it was years ago and I've forgotten much of it.

Physics news on Phys.org

Your analysis is mostly correct. For W+6, the two possible configurations are [Xe]6s1 4f12 5d1 and [Xe]6s2 4f7 5d5. For Au+, the correct configuration is [Xe]6s1 4f14 5d9, but for Au+3, the correct configuration is actually [Xe]6s1 4f14 5d8. Keep in mind that when ions lose electrons, they lose them from the highest energy level first, so the 5d orbital would be the first to lose an electron in the case of Au+3. Overall, your understanding of electron configurations is good and you are on the right track. Keep up the good work!

1. What are electron orbitals?

Electron orbitals are regions of space around an atomic nucleus where electrons are most likely to be found. They can be thought of as the "paths" or "trajectories" of electrons as they move around the nucleus.

2. How are electron orbitals different from electron shells?

Electron shells refer to the energy levels or shells that electrons occupy around the nucleus, while electron orbitals refer to the specific regions within those shells where electrons are most likely to be found.

3. How many electrons can an orbital hold?

The maximum number of electrons that an orbital can hold depends on its type. A s orbital can hold 2 electrons, a p orbital can hold 6 electrons, a d orbital can hold 10 electrons, and an f orbital can hold 14 electrons.

4. What is the shape of an electron orbital?

The shape of an electron orbital is determined by its type, as well as its energy level. S orbitals have a spherical shape, p orbitals have a dumbbell shape, d orbitals have a cloverleaf shape, and f orbitals have a more complex shape.

5. How do electron orbitals affect chemical bonding?

The arrangement and number of electrons in orbitals can determine the chemical bonding behavior of an atom. For example, atoms with partially filled orbitals are more reactive and likely to form bonds, while atoms with full orbitals are unreactive.