Question on Le Chatelier's theory?

• Thread starter greenfloss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theory
In summary, the conversation discusses a system at X degree Celsius with a reversible reaction taking place. The addition of a heater providing a constant heat source of 10 degree Celsius will cause the reaction to move to the left, but the temperature of the system will be X + 10 due to the continuous heat supply. The question of whether the reaction will succeed in lowering the temperature to X or continuously favor the backward reaction is raised. The individual believes the temperature will be X + 10.
greenfloss

Homework Statement

I have a system which is at X degree celcius. I decide to put in a heater which will heat the system up by 10 degree celsius and will keep supplying this much heat. The reaction taking place is:

A + B --> C + D (it's a reversible reaction)
(enthalpy change is negative-> Exothermic)

I know the reaction will move to the left, but will the temperature of the system be X? Or X + 10?

I mean the reaction is moving backwards in order to eliminate these disturbance in temperature, will it succeed in lowering the temperature to X? Or will it just keep trying by continuously favouring the backward reaction?

The Attempt at a Solution

I formulated this question myself because of my misunderstanding.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think the answer is X + 10. The reaction will move to the left, but the temperature of the system will be X + 10 because the heater is continuously supplying heat.

I can provide a response to your question based on Le Chatelier's principle. According to this principle, when a system at equilibrium is subjected to a change in conditions, the system will respond in a way that minimizes the effect of the change and restores equilibrium. In your case, the addition of heat to the system will shift the equilibrium towards the reactants (A + B) in order to consume the excess heat and maintain equilibrium. This means that the temperature of the system will decrease, but it may not necessarily return to its original temperature of X. This is because the equilibrium constant for the reaction is affected by temperature, so the exact temperature at equilibrium will depend on the equilibrium constant and the extent of the shift in the reaction.

Furthermore, the system will not continuously favor the backward reaction in order to decrease the temperature. Once equilibrium is reached, the reaction will proceed in both directions at equal rates, and the temperature will stabilize at a new value. This is because the equilibrium constant is a ratio of the concentrations of the products and reactants, and it remains constant as long as the temperature and pressure are constant.

In summary, the temperature of the system will decrease due to the addition of heat, but it may not return to its original temperature. The reaction will reach a new equilibrium where the rates of the forward and backward reactions are equal, and the temperature will stabilize at this new value.

1. What is Le Chatelier's theory?

Le Chatelier's theory, also known as the principle of equilibrium, states that when a system in equilibrium is subjected to an external stress or change, it will adjust itself to reduce or counteract the effect of that stress.

2. How does Le Chatelier's theory apply to chemical reactions?

In chemical reactions, Le Chatelier's theory predicts that when a change is made to the concentration, pressure, or temperature of a system, the reaction will shift in the direction that minimizes the effect of that change in order to maintain equilibrium.

3. What are the factors that can affect a system in equilibrium, according to Le Chatelier's theory?

The factors that can affect a system in equilibrium are concentration, pressure, and temperature.

4. Can Le Chatelier's theory be applied to all types of equilibria?

Yes, Le Chatelier's theory can be applied to all types of equilibria, including physical, chemical, and biological equilibria.

5. How can Le Chatelier's theory be used in practical applications?

Le Chatelier's theory can be used in various practical applications, such as in the production of chemicals, pharmaceuticals, and fertilizers. It is also useful in understanding and controlling the behavior of systems in industries such as oil and gas, food and beverage, and environmental engineering.