Calculate Minimum Horsepower to Drag 340 kg Box at 1.45 m/s

• Thread starter Jo-AnneLi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, to determine the minimum horsepower needed to drag a 340 kg box along a level floor at a speed of 1.45 m/s with a coefficient of friction of 0.50, we use the equation Power = Work/time. However, since the box is moving at a constant velocity, there is no net force and the force being provided by the motor is equal to the force of friction. We can also use the formula P = Fd/t, with d/t representing the displacement per unit time.
Jo-AnneLi

Homework Statement

What minimum horsepower must a motor have to be able to drag a 340 kg box along a level floor at a speed of 1.45 m/s if the coefficient of friction is 0.50?

Homework Equations

Power = Change in Energy/time = Work/time
Change in energy = Final energy - Initial energy
Work = Net Force x displacement
Force of Friction = Normal force x coefficient of friction = mg x coefficient of friction
Kinetic energy = 1/2 x m x v^2
Change in gravitational potential energy = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that we should always start with the equation Power = Work/time or Power = Change in energy/time, and then sub in values. The problem is that of the equations given above, none of them seem to work. We are not given displacement. I found the friction force = 1667.7 N but I'm unsure as to how to find net force. Kinetic energy = 357.425 J, but is that the initial/final energy and how do I find the other one?
I'm just really confused about this question...please help! You don't have to tell me the whole solution, just a hint would be nice.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint..there is no net force since the box is moving at constant velocity...so then what is the force being provided by the motor?
Hint 2: there is another formula for power equivalent to W/t...if W = Fd , then P = Fd/t...what is d/t?
Welcome to the Physics Forums!:smile:

1. How do I calculate the minimum horsepower needed to drag a 340 kg box at 1.45 m/s?

To calculate the minimum horsepower, you will need the weight of the box (340 kg) and the speed at which you want to drag it (1.45 m/s). Then, use the formula: Minimum Horsepower = (Weight in kg x Speed in m/s) / 75. This will give you the minimum amount of horsepower needed to drag the box at the given speed.

2. What units should I use when calculating the minimum horsepower?

When using the formula to calculate the minimum horsepower, it is important to use consistent units. The weight of the box should be in kilograms (kg) and the speed should be in meters per second (m/s). This will ensure that the final result is in horsepower (hp).

3. Can I use the same formula for any weight and speed?

The formula (Minimum Horsepower = (Weight in kg x Speed in m/s) / 75) can be used to calculate the minimum horsepower for any weight and speed. However, this formula is specifically designed for objects being dragged on a flat surface, so it may not be accurate for other scenarios.

4. Is there a minimum horsepower requirement for dragging a 340 kg box at 1.45 m/s?

The minimum horsepower requirement will depend on the specific conditions of the drag, such as the surface, incline, and friction. However, using the formula can give you a good estimate of the minimum horsepower needed to drag the box at the given speed.

5. How can I increase the minimum horsepower needed to drag the box?

To increase the minimum horsepower needed to drag the box, you can either increase the weight of the box or the speed at which it is being dragged. Additionally, factors such as surface type and incline can also affect the minimum horsepower required.