Question on Proportionate spheres (Help )

• Thread starter aquirk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spheres
In summary, the conversation discusses questions about proportionate spheres, specifically regarding the relationship between surface area, volume, and radius. The conversation also involves a problem involving the weight of an object on Earth and Jupiter, utilizing the concept of proportionality and inverse proportionality. The final question asks for a solution to find the weight of an object on Jupiter based on given data.
aquirk
Question on Proportionate spheres (Help!)

A spherical balloon is partially blown up and its surface area is measured. More air is then added, increasing the volume of the balloon. If the surface area of the balloon expands by a factor of 9.4 during this procedure, by what factor does the radius of the balloon change?

If the radius of a sphere is increased by 12 %, by what factor does its surface area increase?
- By what percentage does its surface area increase?
- By what factor does the sphere's volume increase?
- By what percentage does the sphere's volume increase?

The weight of an object at the surface of a planet is proportional to the planet's mass and inversely proportional to the square of the radius of the planet. Jupiter's radius is 11 times Earth's and its mass is 320 times Earth's. An apple weighs 1.0 N on Earth. How much would it weigh on Jupiter?

Physics news on Phys.org

aquirk said:
A spherical balloon is partially blown up and its surface area is measured. More air is then added, increasing the volume of the balloon. If the surface area of the balloon expands by a factor of 9.4 during this procedure, by what factor does the radius of the balloon change?

If the radius of a sphere is increased by 12 %, by what factor does its surface area increase?
- By what percentage does its surface area increase?
- By what factor does the sphere's volume increase?
- By what percentage does the sphere's volume increase?

The weight of an object at the surface of a planet is proportional to the planet's mass and inversely proportional to the square of the radius of the planet. Jupiter's radius is 11 times Earth's and its mass is 320 times Earth's. An apple weighs 1.0 N on Earth. How much would it weigh on Jupiter?

What are your thoughts on a solution?

I figured out the first few questions, I just have the one left about how much the object would weigh on Jupiter. I understand the proportional/inversely proportional aspects to the problem, I just don't get how you use them together to get the weight on Jupiter. I don't even get how they use the two to get the weight on Earth.

aquirk said:
I figured out the first few questions, I just have the one left about how much the object would weigh on Jupiter. I understand the proportional/inversely proportional aspects to the problem, I just don't get how you use them together to get the weight on Jupiter. I don't even get how they use the two to get the weight on Earth.

From the statement of the problem:

It says the weight is proportional to the mass of the planet. That would mean the bigger the mass the greater the weight right?
Then it says that the weight is also inversely proportional to the square of the radius of the planet.

So if you put that in a formula it would look like:

[tex]Weight \propto \frac{Planet Mass}{Radius^2}[/tex]

So if your weight on Earth is 1N and the Planet Mass is 320 times greater and the Radius is 11 times greater then the apple will be ______ times greater?

Welcome to PF!

aquirk said:
I understand the proportional/inversely proportional aspects to the problem, I just don't get how you use them together to get the weight on Jupiter. I don't even get how they use the two to get the weight on Earth.

Hi aquirk! Welcome to PF! :smile:

That's the beauty of this dimension method …

you don't need to know how they use the two to get the weight on Earth! …

just follow LowlyPion's advice … take the figure they've given you for Earth, and plug it into the dimension equation. :smile:

an apple wieghs 1.0 N on Earth. set it up so you are multipling 320 by Earths planet mass divided by Earths Radius^2 multiplied by 11. the Earth Data cancels to 1.0 N so 320/11 is roughly 29.0 multiplied by 1.0 N we get that an apple wieghs 29.0 N on Jupiter.

1. What are proportionate spheres?

Proportionate spheres refer to a mathematical concept in which the ratios between corresponding values of two spheres are equal.

2. How do you calculate the proportionate spheres?

The proportionate spheres can be calculated by dividing the corresponding values of two spheres and comparing the resulting ratios. For example, if the radius of one sphere is 5cm and the radius of another sphere is 10cm, the ratio would be 1:2.

3. What is the importance of proportionate spheres?

Proportionate spheres have many real-world applications, such as in geometry, physics, and engineering. They help us understand and analyze relationships between different variables and objects.

4. Can proportionate spheres be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, proportionate spheres can be used to solve various real-world problems, such as determining the volume of an object, calculating distances, and analyzing proportions in nature.

5. Are there any limitations to using proportionate spheres?

While proportionate spheres are a useful mathematical concept, they may not always accurately represent real-life situations. Additionally, they may not be applicable to all types of objects or situations.