Question on redshift/expanding universe

• Thread starter gamblej
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary: So the expansion of the universe is a combination of the two factors: the expansion of space itself and the objects moving away from each other due to their relative velocities. By studying the behavior of these two factors, cosmologists are able to determine that our universe's expansion is accelerating.
gamblej
I am not a physicist so I was wondering if it is possible to explain the following question to a layman.

My information on this is subject to the whims of pop-sci journalists so if the answer will go over my head, that's OK. I'm still curious.

The further a galaxy is from us, the more distant back in time its light was sent. So those near the visible horizon of our universe that are truly hauling *** were hauling *** away from us 10 billion years ago. What about today? Couldn't a distant galaxy's relative velocity be a function of time rather than distance? How do cosmologists decouple these factors to arrive at the correct result (that our universe's expansion is accelerating)?

Thanks for any insight you can provide! :)

Space news on Phys.org
gamblej said:
I am not a physicist so I was wondering if it is possible to explain the following question to a layman.

My information on this is subject to the whims of pop-sci journalists so if the answer will go over my head, that's OK. I'm still curious.

The further a galaxy is from us, the more distant back in time its light was sent. So those near the visible horizon of our universe that are truly hauling *** were hauling *** away from us 10 billion years ago. What about today? Couldn't a distant galaxy's relative velocity be a function of time rather than distance? How do cosmologists decouple these factors to arrive at the correct result (that our universe's expansion is accelerating)?

Thanks for any insight you can provide! :)
Yes, the relative velocity is both a function of time and distance. The way we model this in cosmology is we consider the universe to be homogeneous (the same everywhere) and isotropic (the same in every direction). If the universe is the same everywhere, then we can define a global expansion rate that depends upon time: H(t). If we take any two objects in the universe separated by some distance d, their relative velocity will be, on average, H(t) * d.

Over time what has happened is that early on, H(t) decreased very very rapidly, so that objects were originally moving away from one another at very high speed, but slowed down. More recently, H(t) has been approaching a constant value. This means that objects are now moving away from one another faster and faster with time (if H(t) approaches a constant, then as objects get further away, H(t) * d becomes larger, which means they move faster).

Related to Question on redshift/expanding universe

1. What is redshift?

Redshift is a phenomenon where light emitted from distant objects in the universe appears to have a longer wavelength, meaning it is shifted towards the red end of the electromagnetic spectrum. This is due to the expansion of the universe, causing the light to stretch as it travels through space.

2. How is redshift related to the expanding universe?

The redshift of light is directly related to the expansion of the universe. As the universe expands, objects are moving away from each other, causing the wavelengths of light to stretch and appear more red. This phenomenon was first observed by Edwin Hubble in 1929, which led to the discovery of the expanding universe.

3. What causes the universe to expand?

The universe is expanding due to the force of dark energy. This is a mysterious force that is causing the expansion of the universe to accelerate. It is believed to make up about 70% of the total energy in the universe.

4. How is the expansion of the universe measured?

The expansion of the universe is measured using a unit called the Hubble constant, which represents the rate at which the universe is expanding. It is measured in kilometers per second per megaparsec, with a current estimated value of around 70 km/s/Mpc.

5. What implications does the expanding universe have for the future of the universe?

The expanding universe has several implications for the future of the universe. One major implication is that the expansion will continue to accelerate, causing more and more distant galaxies to move away from us. Eventually, the universe may become so stretched out that we will no longer be able to see other galaxies, leading to a "cosmic isolation" where the only objects in the observable universe will be our own galaxy and its closest neighbors.