Question on tourques and static equilibrium

In summary, it really depends on the specific quantity you are asked to solve for and how many unknowns there are. Sometimes you need both; sometimes one will do. Whenever there's an extended body, be ready to consider torques.
sodr2
How do you know when to use the sum of all forces acting on a body compared to the sum of all tourques acting on a body when solving for these types of questions involving ladders, hanging signs, etc...

Physics news on Phys.org
It really depends on the specific quantity you are asked to solve for and how many unknowns there are. Sometimes you need both; sometimes one will do. Whenever there's an extended body, be ready to consider torques.

Ill go ahead and give you the question I have been working on:

A ladder which is 4 meters long masses 40 kg and has its centre of gravity 1.5 m up along its length, leans against a frictionless wall and rests on a frictionless floor. To keep it from slipping, it is tied to the wall with a rope which is attached to the ladder at its center of gravity.

and between the ladder and the rope is the center of gravity Fg [ down]

the angle is 53 degrees. Find all forces acting upon the ladder..

from here i am stuck...i could use tourque and put my pivot point on where the rope and gravity intersects, but then I am left with the force of the floor [up] and the force of the wall
...​

Last edited:
from here i am stuck...i could use tourque and put my pivot point on where the rope and gravity intersects, but then I am left with the force of the floor [up] and the force of the wall

Forces causes linear acceleration, torques cause angular acceleration. In this case, both net torque and net force need to sum to zero.

I'd start by drawing a diagram--in fact, it might help to just draw a regular free body diagram and ignore where the forces act (don't deal with torque). See if you can figure out any of the unknown forces from that.​

sodr2 said:
...​

Well, that's just one of the conditions for equilibrium (Net Torque = 0). Sometimes one is enough, but usually it's not. Make use of the the other conditions: Net Force = 0.

Here you have three unknown forces to find, so you need at least three equations. (Hint: Consider vertical and horizontal force components separately.)

Don't be stingy with the equations. No extra charge for using more than one! :wink:

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the rotational force on an object. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the distance from the pivot point to the point where the force is applied.

2. How does torque relate to static equilibrium?

In order for an object to be in static equilibrium, the sum of all the forces acting on it must be equal to zero and the sum of all the torques acting on it must also be equal to zero. This means that the object will not be accelerating and will remain in a fixed position.

3. What is the difference between clockwise and counterclockwise torque?

Clockwise torque is a rotational force that causes an object to rotate in a clockwise direction, while counterclockwise torque causes an object to rotate in a counterclockwise direction. The direction of the torque is determined by the direction of the applied force and the direction of the lever arm.

4. How does the lever arm affect torque?

The lever arm is the distance between the pivot point and the point where the force is applied. The longer the lever arm, the greater the torque will be. This means that a smaller force can produce the same torque as a larger force if the lever arm is longer.

5. What are some real-life examples of torque and static equilibrium?

Some examples of torque and static equilibrium in everyday life include using a wrench to loosen a bolt, balancing on a seesaw, or pushing open a door. In all of these situations, the forces and torques are balanced, allowing for stable and controlled movement.