1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on tourques and static equilibrium!

1. Jun 17, 2008 #1
    How do you know when to use the sum of all forces acting on a body compared to the sum of all tourques acting on a body when solving for these types of questions involving ladders, hanging signs, etc...
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2008 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

It really depends on the specific quantity you are asked to solve for and how many unknowns there are. Sometimes you need both; sometimes one will do. Whenever there's an extended body, be ready to consider torques.
  4. Jun 17, 2008 #3
    Ill go ahead and give you the question I have been working on:

A ladder which is 4 meters long masses 40 kg and has its centre of gravity 1.5 m up along its length, leans against a frictionless wall and rests on a frictionless floor. To keep it from slipping, it is tied to the wall with a rope which is attached to the ladder at its center of gravity.

and between the ladder and the rope is the center of gravity Fg [ down]

the angle is 53 degrees. Find all forces acting upon the ladder..

from here i am stuck...i could use tourque and put my pivot point on where the rope and gravity intersects, but then im left with the force of the floor [up] and the force of the wall
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2008
  5. Jun 17, 2008 #4

Forces causes linear acceleration, torques cause angular acceleration. In this case, both net torque and net force need to sum to zero.

I'd start by drawing a diagram--in fact, it might help to just draw a regular free body diagram and ignore where the forces act (don't deal with torque). See if you can figure out any of the unknown forces from that.​
  6. Jun 17, 2008 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Well, that's just one of the conditions for equilibrium (Net Torque = 0). Sometimes one is enough, but usually it's not. Make use of the the other conditions: Net Force = 0.

Here you have three unknown forces to find, so you need at least three equations. (Hint: Consider vertical and horizontal force components separately.)

Don't be stingy with the equations. No extra charge for using more than one! :wink:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?