Question on water vapour and pressures

In summary, the problem involves compressing 20 litres of moist air with a temperature of 25 degrees celsius and a relative humidity of 75% to a volume of 4 litres. The task is to calculate the mass of water condensed using the equation pV=mRT and the chart for the pressure of saturated water vapour at 25 degrees celsius.
math_04

Homework Statement

20 litres of moist air at 25 degrees celsius with a relative humidity of 75% are compressed isothermally to a volume of 4 litres. Calculate the mass of water condensed? (One method, find the original water vapour pressure, it will be increased by what factor?)

Homework Equations

pV= mRT

water vapour pressure = density x R x T

The Attempt at a Solution

Where should I start with this problem. Finding the mass is really hard here, the mass of water condensed is only part a of the question. if i had that, i could figure it all out. any hints in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is pressure of saturated water vapour at 25 deg C?

sorry borek u lost me. am i supposed to read the pressure of saturated water vapour at 25 degrees off a chart? Because right now, I cannot see an equation that help me find the mass with the current information provided.

yea think i got it. I used the chart to search for saturated vapour pressures at 25 deg C, then used PV= mRT to calculate the mass of water. Then use relative humidity to find mass of water condensed.

cheers anyway

math_04 said:
am i supposed to read the pressure of saturated water vapour at 25 degrees off a chart?

Yes.

1. What is water vapour?

Water vapour is the gaseous form of water, formed when liquid water evaporates into the air.

2. How does water vapour affect atmospheric pressure?

Water vapour is a major component of the Earth's atmosphere and contributes to the total atmospheric pressure. As the amount of water vapour increases, the atmospheric pressure also increases.

3. What is the relationship between water vapour and humidity?

Humidity is a measure of the amount of water vapour present in the air. The higher the humidity, the more water vapour is present in the air. This is because warm air can hold more water vapour than cold air.

4. How does water vapour play a role in the water cycle?

Water vapour is a crucial component of the water cycle. It is constantly evaporating from bodies of water, forming clouds, and then falling back to the Earth as precipitation. This process helps to regulate the Earth's temperature and distribute water around the globe.

5. Can water vapour contribute to weather patterns?

Yes, water vapour plays a significant role in weather patterns. When water vapour condenses into clouds, it can lead to precipitation and different types of weather such as rain, snow, and hail. High amounts of water vapour in the atmosphere can also contribute to storms and hurricanes.