1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Question on water vapour and pressures

1. May 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

20 litres of moist air at 25 degrees celsius with a relative humidity of 75% are compressed isothermally to a volume of 4 litres. Calculate the mass of water condensed? (One method, find the original water vapour pressure, it will be increased by what factor?)

2. Relevant equations

pV= mRT

water vapour pressure = density x R x T

3. The attempt at a solution

Where should I start with this problem. Finding the mass is really hard here, the mass of water condensed is only part a of the question. if i had that, i could figure it all out. any hints in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2009 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

What is pressure of saturated water vapour at 25 deg C?

4. May 26, 2009 #3
    sorry borek u lost me. am i supposed to read the pressure of saturated water vapour at 25 degrees off a chart? Because right now, I cannot see an equation that help me find the mass with the current information provided.

5. May 26, 2009 #4
    yea think i got it. I used the chart to search for saturated vapour pressures at 25 deg C, then used PV= mRT to calculate the mass of water. Then use relative humidity to find mass of water condensed.

cheers anyway

6. May 26, 2009 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Yes.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook