Series Homework Question: Divergent or Convergent? Methods Compared

• Thread starter Of Mike and Men
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Series
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the ratio test and a disagreement between the individuals on whether it is convergent or divergent. The speaker also mentions checking their work and assuming a potential error in the limit portion. However, it is ultimately shown that the problem is convergent. The speaker is then advised to find an explicit formula for the sum and take the limit as N approaches infinity.
Of Mike and Men

Homework Statement

I was watching a PatrickJMT video on ratio test and he gave this problem. I solved it before he did, and he got that it was divergent. He didn't simplify it initially, so our methods of approach are different. Did I do something wrong? I checked my calculator to make sure all my simplifications were correct. So I'm assuming I did something near the limit portion that was incorrect (if at all). Thanks

∑ n/31+3n
n=1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

∑ n/31+3n = n/(3⋅27n)
n=1

lim |(n+1)/(3⋅27n+1) / (n/3 *27n)|
n→∞

= lim |(n+1)/n| * (1/27)
n→∞
= 1 * 1/27
=1/27 < 1

Convergent by Ratio Test

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you use the ratio test correctly?

IMG_1809.jpg
Math_QED said:
Did you use the ratio test correctly?
Nope. Got it, thanks.

[edit]

Actually I typed my work incorrectly. I'll fix it. but to be sure...

Of Mike and Men said:

Homework Statement

I was watching a PatrickJMT video on ratio test and he gave this problem. I solved it before he did, and he got that it was divergent. He didn't simplify it initially, so our methods of approach are different. Did I do something wrong? I checked my calculator to make sure all my simplifications were correct. So I'm assuming I did something near the limit portion that was incorrect (if at all). Thanks

∑ n/31+3n
n=1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

∑ n/31+3n = n/(3⋅27n)
n=1

lim |(n+1)/(3⋅27n+1) / (n/3 *27n)|
n→∞

= lim |(n+1)/n| * (1/27)
n→∞
= 1 * 1/27
=1/27 < 1

Convergent by Ratio Test

It is convergent, as you have shown correctly using the ratio test.

You can actually find the sum ##\sum_{n=1}^N n/3^{3n+1}## explicitly (as a reasonably simple closed-from expression in ##N##), then take the limit as ##N \to \infty##. All you need to do is find a formula for ##f_N(x) =\sum_{n=1}^N n x^n##, and these are widely available, or you can work it out as ##f_N(x) = x (d/dx) g_N(x)##, where ##g_N(x) = \sum_{n=1}^N x^n##, which is elementary.

Last edited:

1. What is a question over a series?

A question over a series is a type of research question that is designed to investigate a specific topic or phenomenon over a period of time, rather than at a single point in time. It allows for the examination of trends and patterns that may emerge over time.

2. How is a question over a series different from other types of research questions?

A question over a series differs from other types of research questions in that it focuses on changes and developments over time rather than a single moment or event. It often requires a longitudinal study or the collection of data at multiple time points.

3. What are some examples of question over a series in scientific research?

Examples of question over a series in scientific research include studying the effects of climate change on a specific ecosystem over the course of several years, tracking the development of language skills in children from infancy to adolescence, and investigating the effectiveness of a new medication over a period of months.

4. What are the benefits of using a question over a series in research?

Using a question over a series in research allows for a deeper understanding of how different factors may change or interact over time. It can also help to identify causal relationships and provide more robust evidence for the effectiveness of interventions or treatments.

5. What are some challenges associated with conducting research using a question over a series?

Some challenges associated with conducting research using a question over a series include the need for a longer timeframe and potentially larger sample sizes, as well as the possibility of attrition or loss of participants over time. There may also be difficulties in controlling for external factors that may influence the results.