Troubleshooting Tube Bending Natural Frequency Equation

In summary, the equation predicts the bending natural frequency of a round tube based on the dimensions provided. The constants used are based on the boundary conditions of a wind chime. The units must be multiplied by gravity (g) to convert from force units to mass units. When using SI units, the results are different than when using imperial units.
GenSoft3d
I found this equation for predicting the bending natural frequency of a tube but am having trouble working it out. I was hoping that someone might be willing to steer me in the right direction. First the equation and the info provided on the website:

w = (B*l)2 * SQRT (E*I/(rho*l4))

w - frequency radian per second
E - modulus of elasticity
I - area moment of inertia = PI*d3*t/8 for a thin wall round tube
d - mean diameter
t - wall thickness
rho - mass per unit length = Area * mass per unit volume = PI*d*t*density
l - length of tube

(B*l)2 - Constants based on the boundary conditions.

For a wind chime (Free-Free Beam):

(B*l)2= 22.373 for the first natural frequency.To get the units correct you must multiply the values inside the square root by gravity (g).

g = 386.4 in/sec2 for the units I'm using.

for frequency in cycles per second (Hz) f = w/(2*PI)

Now, the problem that I'm having is that when following the above format that uses non SI units I end up with a different result than when I swap them out for SI units. So, for example; when using lbmass/in^3 for the density and psi for Young's Modulus (*gravity) along with imperial units for size inputs (inch) the results are different than the results from using kg/m3 and pascals along with metric sizes (meters). When using SI units I'm dropping the *gravity.

Here are the values that I am working with:

E = 16969415.3 psi (1.17e+11 Pa)
density = 0.323 lbmass/in^3 ( 8940 kg/m3)
mean dia = .428 in (0.0108712 m)
thickness = .048 in (0.0012192 m)
length = .3885 in (0.0098679 m)

When using the above format I'm getting 2 MHz but when switching to SI units I'm getting 66.7 MHz.

So, where am I going wrong here? Any ideas? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

The formulas look OK. You only need to "multiply by g" (or more pedantically, divide the density by g to convert it into force units not mass units) working in inches, but not for SI.

FWIW I get about 0.5 MHz in both sets of units ... ?

Bear in mind this formula is for a long beam (i.e. length / diameter > 10) so it won't give very good results when the length is less than the diameter.

Hi and thanks again for the help AZ! I didn't realize that the formula was limited by the length/diameter ratio but I guess that I should have suspected. Do you happen to know if there is another formula that would be more suitable for my application? Or should I try using the 3d model simulations instead of a simple formula?

I still can't figure out where I'm going wrong here and though I may not be able to make use of this equation I am interested in knowing where I am falling short on this. As you can tell this is all very new to me and am just now trying to learn my way around so again your help is very much appreciated. Here are the numbers that I'm getting using SI units so if something looks off to you then would you mind pointing it out to me (if it's not too much trouble)?

rho (pi*d*t*density) = 0.3722543926
(rho*L^4) = 5.19935862243926E-009
I (pi*d*3* t/8) = 1.56146976758685E-005
SQRT (E*i/(rho*L^4)) = 18744973.6416667
w = (B*L)2 * SQRT (E*i/(rho*L^4)) = 419381295.28501
f= w / 2 * pi = 66746606.1848911

input values:

E = 1.17e+11 Pa
density = 8940 kg/m3
mean dia = 0.0108712 m
thickness = 0.0012192 m
length = 0.0098679 m

Thanks again!

(pi*d*3*t/8)

The formula is d cubed, not d times 3.

Also my calculator says rho L^4 = 3.523e-9 not 5.199e-9.

That was definitely it... it should have been cubed. Thank you! The other problem was due to an oversight in excel (trying to streamline some of these equations) which I wouldn't have caught without your help, so thank you for taking the time to look over this for me... I really appreciate it.

Related to Troubleshooting Tube Bending Natural Frequency Equation

1. What is the natural frequency equation for tube bending?

The natural frequency equation for tube bending is given by f = K/2π * √(EI/ρA), where f is the natural frequency (Hz), K is a constant dependent on the boundary conditions, E is the modulus of elasticity (N/m^2), I is the moment of inertia (m^4), ρ is the density (kg/m^3), and A is the cross-sectional area (m^2).

2. How is the natural frequency equation used in troubleshooting tube bending issues?

The natural frequency equation is used to determine the resonant frequency of a tube, which is the frequency at which it vibrates most easily. By comparing the resonant frequency to the operating frequency, engineers can identify potential issues with tube bending, such as excessive vibration or stress, and adjust the bending process accordingly.

3. What factors can affect the natural frequency of a tube during bending?

Several factors can affect the natural frequency of a tube during bending, including the material properties (e.g. modulus of elasticity, density), the geometry of the tube (e.g. length, diameter, wall thickness), the boundary conditions (e.g. fixed or free ends), and the bending process itself (e.g. rate of bending, number of bends).

4. Can the natural frequency equation be used for all types of tube bending processes?

The natural frequency equation is most commonly used for simple bending processes, such as free bending or compression bending. However, it can also be applied to more complex bending processes, such as roll bending or rotary draw bending, with some modifications to account for additional factors such as material flow and deformation.

5. How can the natural frequency equation be used to optimize tube bending processes?

By understanding the natural frequency of a tube during bending, engineers can optimize the bending process to avoid potential issues such as vibration, buckling, or stress. This may involve adjusting the material properties, the geometry of the tube, or the bending process parameters to ensure the tube is operating at a safe and efficient frequency.