Question regarging pendulum axis and its motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the motion of a pendulum and how the distance of the axis affects its movement. The poster is building a pendulum with a horizontal bar and is unsure if the weight of the bar will have an impact on the motion. It is suggested that conducting experiments would be the best way to determine the effect of the bar's weight on the pendulum's motion.
callekula
Hi,

I have a question regarding a pendulum and it's motion/momentum given the axis it moves around.

In the below picture, there are two version of a pendulum with a weight at the bottom. It moves in and out of the screen, around an axis resting on two nails (red). My question is, how does the distance (x and y) of the axis affect the motion, if we neglect the weight of the horisontal bar? Will the x-version move for a longer period of time, if the pendulum is released from the same position as the other version? Or is there no difference?
pendulum.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello callekula, :welcome: !

In a physics forum you can expect a physics answer; in PF, however, we really value the input from the poster: what do you think ? And instead of a direct answer (a spoiler, so to say) you get guiding questions an little nudges to help you find the answers you are looking for. :wink:

To help you on your way: if you had to write down the equations of motion for these pendula, would your lengths appear in those ?

Hi BvU,

I appreaciate your willingness for me to figure it out myself. However, the pendulum I am building does not look like the ones in the school books with formulaes attached to them, there they are often depicted hanging in a string in one fixed point. This pendulum swings using this horisontal bar that rests on two screws, so I could never figure this out myself I think.

Seems to me you are able to do the experiment !
My reply was 'first order': pendulum moves in the z plane and your x and y don't appear in the equations of motion.
For an accurate clock mechanism you'd need a much more detailed description to estimate higher order effects (bending, friction, ...)

Likes callekula
Sure, I'm not expecting to get an exact answer with such a simple problem description. My gut feeling, if the weight of the bar is neglected, is that it won't make any difference. But in my actual case it does have a weight, although very small (a wooden bar, 2 cm in diameter). So I'd be curious if it had a notable effect of the motion over a period of time, if this particular bar would be a factor say 6 times longer. I'd definitely do experiments, but was just reaching out if someone already knew :-)

callekula said:
Will the x-version move for a longer period of time, if the pendulum is released from the same position as the other version?
View attachment 248152

If the longer bar bends more, it will dissipate energy quicker. The period might also be different due to that and the greater moment of inertia.

Likes callekula

1. What is the axis of a pendulum?

The axis of a pendulum is an imaginary line that runs through the center of the pendulum's mass and is perpendicular to the plane of its motion.

2. How does the axis of a pendulum affect its motion?

The axis of a pendulum is important because it determines the direction in which the pendulum will swing. The pendulum will always swing back and forth along this axis.

3. Can the axis of a pendulum be changed?

Yes, the axis of a pendulum can be changed by altering the point of suspension or by changing the length of the pendulum's string. However, the axis will always remain perpendicular to the plane of the pendulum's motion.

4. How does the length of a pendulum affect its axis and motion?

The length of a pendulum affects the speed and period of its swing, but it does not affect the axis of its motion. The axis will remain perpendicular to the plane of the pendulum's motion regardless of its length.

5. What is the relationship between the axis of a pendulum and its period?

The axis of a pendulum does not have a direct relationship with its period. However, the length of the pendulum's string, which can affect the position of its axis, does have a direct relationship with its period. The longer the pendulum's string, the longer its period will be.