Questioning 3D Model views of effect of large bodies on curving space.

In summary, the conversation discusses the limitations of visualizing the curvature of space and the suggestion of a "stocking" representation for large bodies. However, both the two-dimensional representation and the "stocking" representation have their own limitations and do not fully represent the curvature of spacetime. To truly understand it, one must delve into the mathematical equations and their physical implications.
MiguelCapelo
Hi everyone. I am not a physicist or scientist but this is a question I have pondered for a while now.

Everytime I see a model of how large bodies (eg Earth and sun) bend the planar representation of space (creating a "cup" or "dip") I always feel that this is not completely representative. Is it just me that thinks a better representation would be if the large bodies were enveloped in a tight fitting stocking thus allowing the "dips" or bends to be up and down as well instead of just left, right and down ?

In my small mind this "stocking" that envelops EVERYTHING might be an attempt at a theory of everything ie the stocking envelopes the galaxy finger print, the gravity fingerprint, the planet fingerprint, the human fingerprint, the molecular finger print, the atomic fingerprint, the neutron/proton/electron fingerprint, the quark fingerprint and finally arriving at one single string doubling in over itself to form the STOCKING of everything. the alpha and omega, if you wish, is the tubular membrane of the stocking formed by the string.

A black hole in space would be a pinch of the 2 membranes of the stocking almost like if we pinch the 2 membranes and pull them out together to form a single "pinch" of the double membrane.

I don't feel I am a genius or special in anyway, just asking people more knowledgeable than myself something that has had me thinking for a long while.

Kind Regards

Miguel Capelo

Space news on Phys.org
what you describing is just a simplified image of spacetime curvature, to attempt to draw how it actually would behave would be too complex. The images is just the x,z influences. Your right that gravity would also include the y axis. The visualization is merely a tool to help visualize curvature.

Basically, it is fundamentally impossible to properly visualize the curvature of three-dimensional space in three dimensions. So the visualizations they provide are taking a two-dimensional slice, and then projecting that slice into three dimensions so you can see its curvature.

Sort of. I don't think they usually are that accurate in terms of precisely how the curvature is shown. But the general picture they present is usually correct, if you understand that that's what any two-dimensional slice through the massive body looks like in terms of its curvature.

MiguelCapelo said:
Everytime I see a model of how large bodies (eg Earth and sun) bend the planar representation of space (creating a "cup" or "dip") I always feel that this is not completely representative.

You're right, it's not. There are two main reasons why not:

(1) The representation is only of space curvature, not spacetime curvature. It represents the curvature of a spacelike slice of constant time, in a region of spacetime that is static--nothing is changing with time. (Of course this is an idealization, but that's all that this representation can show.)

(2) The representation, as others have pointed out, is only of a two-dimensional spacelike surface; it doesn't include the third spatial dimension. This works because the space being represented is spherically symmetric, so all the information about how the space curves can be represented using a curved two-dimensional surface. A space that isn't perfectly spherically symmetric can't be represented this way.

MiguelCapelo said:
Is it just me that thinks a better representation would be if the large bodies were enveloped in a tight fitting stocking thus allowing the "dips" or bends to be up and down as well instead of just left, right and down?

Yes. I don't see how such a "stocking" representation would do a better job, because it wouldn't be any better with respect to either of the above issues. As others have pointed out, there's no way to directly visualize the curvature of a four-dimensional spacetime. To really understand it, you need to work out the math involved and understand what the math is representing physically.

I appreciate your curiosity and creative thinking. It is important to question and challenge existing models and theories, as that is how scientific progress is made.

Regarding your idea of representing the effect of large bodies on curving space with a tight fitting stocking, while it may be a visually interesting concept, it may not accurately represent the complex interactions and dynamics involved in the curvature of space. Scientists use mathematical models and equations to describe and understand these phenomena, rather than visual representations.

Furthermore, the concept of a "theory of everything" is still a topic of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community. While your idea of a stocking enveloping everything may be intriguing, it is important to approach such ideas with caution and skepticism, and to rely on evidence and rigorous testing to support any proposed theories.

In summary, questioning and proposing new ideas is an important part of scientific inquiry, but it is also important to consider the existing evidence and theories in order to make progress and advancements in our understanding of the world around us.

What is the concept of "curving space" and how does it relate to large bodies?

"Curving space" is a concept in physics that describes the bending of the fabric of space-time due to the presence of large bodies, such as planets or stars. This bending of space-time can be visualized as a result of the gravitational pull of these bodies, which creates a curvature in the space around them.

How do 3D models help in understanding the effect of large bodies on curving space?

3D models can provide a visual representation of the concept of "curving space" and the effect of large bodies on it. By using these models, scientists can better understand and explain the complex concepts of space-time curvature and gravity.

What are some limitations of 3D models in studying the effect of large bodies on curving space?

One limitation of 3D models is that they are simplified representations of complex phenomena. While they can provide a helpful visual aid, they may not accurately depict the exact behavior of large bodies in space. Additionally, 3D models are limited by the data and assumptions used to create them, which may not always be complete or accurate.

How do scientists use mathematical equations to study the effect of large bodies on curving space?

Scientists use mathematical equations, such as Einstein's field equations of general relativity, to study the effect of large bodies on curving space. These equations can describe the relationship between the curvature of space-time and the distribution of matter and energy within it, allowing scientists to make predictions and test the validity of their theories.

What are some current theories and debates surrounding the concept of curving space and its relationship to large bodies?

There are ongoing debates and research surrounding the concept of "curving space" and its relationship to large bodies. Some current theories include modifications to Einstein's theory of general relativity, such as theories of quantum gravity, that attempt to better explain the behavior of space-time in the presence of large bodies. There is also ongoing research on the role of dark matter and dark energy in shaping the curvature of space-time.