Questions about course of Energy conservation

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of work and force in relation to holding a bag of groceries. The speaker provides incorrect answers for both scenarios and is corrected by the other person regarding the directions of forces and motion. The speaker also mentions the concept of overall force over a trajectory, but is reminded that it is not relevant to the problem. Finally, the conversation touches on the idea of work being done by a table when holding something.
physicos
Thank you for helping me
1-
One end of a rubber band is tied down and you pull on the other end to trace a complicated closed trajectory.If you were to measyre the elastic force F at every point and took its scalar product with the local displacement F*r,and then summed all f these . What would you get ?

I said it would give the overall force of F over the whole trajectory on the rubber band : IS IT CORRECT ?

2- How much work do you do when you hold a bag of groceries while standing still (I said : W= m*g*h) with m mass of groceries and h height of the bag from ground.
How much work do you do when you hold the same bag along a distance d across the parking lot of the grocery store(I said W= mg*d )
IS IT CORRECT ?

Physics news on Phys.org
physicos said:
I said it would give the overall force of F over the whole trajectory on the rubber band : IS IT CORRECT ?
What do you mean with "the overall force of F over the whole trajectory"?
No, it is not correct.

2- How much work do you do when you hold a bag of groceries while standing still (I said : W= m*g*h) with m mass of groceries and h height of the bag from ground.
What's so special about the ground here? The problem statement did not say you have to pick it up. You are just holding it.

How much work do you do when you hold the same bag along a distance d across the parking lot of the grocery store(I said W= mg*d )
IS IT CORRECT ?
No. Think about the directions of forces and motion.

mfb said:
What do you mean with "the overall force of F over the whole trajectory"?
No, it is not correct.

What's so special about the ground here? The problem statement did not say you have to pick it up. You are just holding it.

No. Think about the directions of forces and motion.

1-I meant with the overall force that F*Δr where just particle of work !
2- I really don't know what is so special ! I've copied the excercise as it is !

physicos said:
1-I meant with the overall force that F*Δr where just particle of work !
There is no F*Δr in the problem.
2- I really don't know what is so special ! I've copied the excercise as it is !
Sure, but your answer would imply there is something special about the ground...
How much work does a table need to hold something? If you give a similar answer again, where would the table get such energy from? ;)

1- Yes, your explanation is correct. The scalar product of the elastic force and local displacement at each point along the trajectory will give you the overall work done on the rubber band. This can be calculated by summing all the individual work values. This is known as the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy.

2- Your equations for both scenarios are correct. In the first scenario, when you are holding the bag still, the work done is equal to the product of the mass of the groceries, gravitational acceleration, and the height of the bag from the ground. This is because the bag is not moving, so there is no change in its kinetic energy. In the second scenario, when you are walking across the parking lot with the bag, the work done is equal to the product of the mass of the groceries, gravitational acceleration, and the distance you walk. This is because as you move, the bag is also moving and therefore has a change in its kinetic energy.

Related to Questions about course of Energy conservation

1. What is energy conservation?

Energy conservation is the practice of reducing the amount of energy used in order to preserve natural resources and protect the environment. This can include using energy-efficient technologies, changing behaviors to reduce energy consumption, and implementing policies and regulations to promote conservation.

2. Why is energy conservation important?

Energy conservation is important for several reasons. It helps to reduce our dependence on non-renewable energy sources, such as fossil fuels, which are finite and contribute to air and water pollution. It also helps to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, which contribute to climate change. Additionally, energy conservation can save individuals and businesses money on energy costs.

3. How does energy conservation benefit the environment?

Energy conservation benefits the environment by reducing the amount of natural resources, such as coal and oil, that are extracted and burned for energy production. This helps to decrease air and water pollution, as well as the emission of greenhouse gases. Conserving energy also helps to preserve habitats and ecosystems that may be impacted by energy production.

4. What are some examples of energy conservation?

There are many ways to conserve energy, such as using energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs, properly insulating buildings, using public transportation or carpooling, and turning off lights and electronics when not in use. Other examples include utilizing renewable energy sources, such as solar panels or wind turbines, and implementing energy-saving policies and regulations.

5. How can individuals contribute to energy conservation?

Individuals can contribute to energy conservation by being mindful of their energy usage and making small changes in their daily habits. This can include turning off lights and electronics when not in use, using public transportation or biking instead of driving, and using energy-efficient appliances and light bulbs. Individuals can also advocate for energy conservation policies and support companies and organizations that prioritize sustainability and energy conservation.