Exploring Gravity: Common Questions on Gravitational Fields, Forces, and Energy

• Thread starter raeshun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gravity
In summary: Gravity is not the result of objects "attempting" to return to the "original" singularity. OTOH, the expansion of the universe is related to the amount of mass in it. Maybe if you are familiar with the basics of the big bang theory, you can ask a question without getting lost.
raeshun
1.Does a gravitational field ever end for instance do we experience a gravitational force from a star light years away.

2.if there are two objects in space one 100kg and another 1kg.According to Newtons law of Universal Gravitation there will be an attractive force between these two objects. So my question is does the small object accelerate towards the bigger object or vice-versa.Or do they both accelerate at a distance between them?

3.where does gravity get the energy to move objects from?

any help will be welcome thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
raeshun said:
1.Does a gravitational field ever end for instance do we experience a gravitational force from a star light years away.
No and yes.

2.if there are two objects in space one 100kg and another 1kg.According to Newtons law of Universal Gravitation there will be an attractive force between these two objects. So my question is does the small object accelerate towards the bigger object or vice-versa.Or do they both accelerate at a distance between them?
The last one - they both accelerate towards their mutual center of mass.

3.where does gravity get the energy to move objects from?
The kinetic energy comes from the gravitational potential energy. Some work had to be done on the object in order to get it to the position it "started" out in.

Simon Bridge said:
The kinetic energy comes from the gravitational potential energy. Some work had to be done on the object in order to get it to the position it "started" out in.

If there was a big bang, would you say that gravity is the effect of objects attempting to return to the "original" singularity? Are objects falling back together?

Welcome to PF Kevin!

Kevin Really said:
If there was a big bang,

It's not a matter of 'if' the if big bang model is correct, we know it is. See here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang#Observational_evidence

would you say that gravity is the effect of objects attempting to return to the "original" singularity? Are objects falling back together?

You're misunderstanding what the big bang was. It was *NOT* an explosion, and a singularity is *NOT* a point. The big bang was the hot dense state the ENTIRE universe was at EVERY point. The metric of space expands from every point, so that the radiation cooled and redshifted, and the plasma cooled until it became gas. Denser regions of the gas formed, which were then driven apart by the expansion of space. These became galaxies.

See these articles:

http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmology_faq.html

http://www.mso.anu.edu.au/~charley/papers/LineweaverDavisSciAm.pdf

Finally, gravity has nothing to do with this. We understand gravity through general relativity, in which matter warps spacetime, causing objects to follow curved geodesics through spacetime. This results in an acceleration through space, gravity.

Thank you, Mark M

Especially for the concise description of gravity. I'll have to give it some more thought. I couldn't get your first link to come through. I'm working on the second article, but I'll have to continue with it tommorow. I'm getting sleepy now.

And thanks for welcoming me to the board.
Kevin

Kevin Really said:
If there was a big bang, would you say that gravity is the effect of objects attempting to return to the "original" singularity? Are objects falling back together?
In addition to what Mark said, and at the risk of confusing things further:

My understanding is that this is another yes-and-no answer ... there is no center of mass for the Universe for all objects to gravitate towards, so: "no". OTOH: you'll have heard about how the rate of expansion is related to the amount of mass in the Universe? So: "sort of".

If you are not familiar with how the big bang model works you are well advised to become familiar before we start on about how gravity is involved. Ping us when you next get stuck ;)

What is gravity?

Gravity is a fundamental force that exists between all objects with mass. It is responsible for the attraction between objects and their motion towards each other.

How does gravity work?

Gravity works by creating a force field around objects with mass. The larger the mass, the stronger the force of gravity. This force pulls objects towards each other, causing them to move in a curved path around each other.

Who discovered gravity?

Gravity was first described by Sir Isaac Newton in his famous law of universal gravitation. However, the concept of gravity has been observed and studied by many ancient civilizations, including the ancient Greeks and Egyptians.

What is the role of gravity in the universe?

Gravity plays a crucial role in the formation and maintenance of the universe. It helps to keep planets and stars in orbit, shapes the structure of galaxies, and influences the expansion of the universe.

Is gravity the same everywhere in the universe?

No, gravity is not the same everywhere in the universe. It varies based on the mass and distance between objects. For example, gravity is stronger on larger objects and weaker on smaller ones. It also decreases with distance, so objects farther away from each other will experience less gravitational force.