Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions about the origin of the universe

1. Oct 1, 2008 #1
    1. Is it true that time was created in the big bang? In that case; what was it created from?
    2. Is it possible that the universe is infinite in space, matter/energy or time?
    3. Will the universe continue to expand forever?
    4. If time was created in the BB, does it need to have a cause? I've heard physicists say that all the laws of physics - and thus the concept of cause and effect - break down in the singularity, so that BB doesn't need a cause; it just happened. To me this sounds no more convincing than a Christin claiming that "God just did it".
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 1, 2008 #2
    I think the big bang theory is all wrong. No scientist can explain where the mass came from. Their theory that all matter and anti-matter came to exsist in one second is flawed. One of the laws of nature is that high pressure goes to low pressure or positive to negative. If there were a paralel universe with more pressure than our universe, a black hole would be created and all matter would have poured into our universe, like a big sink hole.

Where do black holes go?? They always are leaving our universe or galaxy. There is never a black hole coming into our universe. Mass is leaving our universe because it is positively pressurized or highly pressurized. Black holes are "leaks" into another universe(s). The experiment in Europe concerns me, because if heat of that magnitude was present...why are we recreating that. Could an explosion or temp. on that scale, create a new "sink hole" or black hole to another universe. Earth would be gone in a blink of an eye! Can anyone out there disprove my theory??
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  4. Oct 1, 2008 #3
    It's not all wrong. There are too many observations that support it. No serious scientists doubt the BBT.
  5. Oct 1, 2008 #4
    I do not mean that it is all wrong. All matter came from a single or confined area. I just dispute that it was an explosion that came from a sub atom particle and developed into the universe...spontaneous creation of mass from almost nothing. It must come from somewhere.
  6. Oct 1, 2008 #5
    You shouldn't have concern over this notion. See this thread for 457, and counting, reasons:

7. Oct 1, 2008 #6
    It wasn't an explosion at a certain point in the universe, but an expansion of the universe itself (if I've got it right). Of course it's illogical that the mass came from nothing, and that's not what the BBT says either. The universe popping out of nowhere is no better a theory than the universe popping out of the hands of a deity.

Regarding the CERN project in Switzerland and France, I meet lots of uneducated people who are scared of what is going to happen, after reading all kinds of conspiracies. I sometimes wish internet was banned...
  8. Oct 1, 2008 #7
    why do you assume that it came from nothing? why not from everything?

time wasnt created. being created would require time. you can only go back so far. to the very beginning. and then you just cant go back any further.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2008
  9. Oct 1, 2008 #8
  10. Oct 1, 2008 #9
    Good question. Never thought of it that way.

I know that time wasn't created in the normal sense of the word, but do we really know that time has a beginning? Can't time be infinite?
  11. Oct 1, 2008 #10
    I do not assume that the universe came from nothing...it is my understanding, that the current popular scientific view is that everything came from a single particle of matter and it split into matter and anti-matter. Then it grew into our universe. I believe that such a particle would have a finite abondance of matter.
  12. Oct 1, 2008 #11
  13. Oct 1, 2008 #12
    neither in duration nor in divisibility. time like everything else is finite and discrete.
  14. Oct 1, 2008 #13
    Yes, because an infinite matter would mean infinite energy in a finite space, which is impossible.
  15. Oct 1, 2008 #14
    I thought we didn't even know WHAT time is...but then, since time is finite, does it mean that will have an end?

So we actually know that the energy/matter in our universe (and possible other universes) is finite?
  16. Oct 1, 2008 #15
    It can be deduced with the aid of astrophysical measurements. I believe the currently quoted value is a little larger than one. Current evidence has shown that the universe is currently expanding.
  17. Oct 1, 2008 #16
    At the speed of light?
  18. Oct 1, 2008 #17
  19. Oct 1, 2008 #18
    time will never end but at no time will an infinite amount of time have passed.

this is just common sense.
  20. Oct 1, 2008 #19
    What evidence suggests this? I have pondered on numerous occasions if there is a discreteness to time, but to my knowledge nothing supports this notion.
  21. Oct 1, 2008 #20
    common sense supports it. nothing can be infinitely divisible.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?