Questions about units and conversion

• Thread starter AznBoi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Units
In summary, when solving a problem that requires the answer in non-SI units, it is necessary to convert all given units to SI units before plugging them into equations such as x=1/2gt^2. Failure to do so can result in incorrect answers. It is important to use units that are compatible with each other in order to obtain the correct units for the final answer. In more complex calculations, it may be easier to convert to SI units first, perform the calculation, and then convert back to the desired units.
AznBoi
When you solve a problem and it wants the answer in non-SI units and they given you non-SI units, do you need to convert the non-SI units to SI units before you plug them into equations such as x=1/2gt^2. If you don't convert them into SI units, you'll get the answer wrong right?

Basically, all the units need to math up in order for you to get the right answer?

Physics news on Phys.org
what is g in m/s^2? how many feet are in a meter? Now, do you think you need to convert it?

Last edited:
For something like that it shouldn't be a problem; i.e. if you are given g in ft/s2 and time in s, then x will be in ft. In general, you need to use units are compatible with each other, so you know the units of the thing you find in the end. If it's a more tricky calculation, then it may be easier to convert to the units you are familiar with (SI) to perform the calculation, so that then you know the correct units that the answr will be in, and then convert back. It's upto you.

ok thanks. i just came across a problem that gave non SI units and asked you to give the answer in non SI units. I forgot to convert everything to the same units =[

1. What is the difference between a unit and a conversion?

A unit is a standard quantity used to measure a specific physical property, such as length, mass, or time. A conversion is the process of changing a quantity from one unit to another, while keeping the same physical value.

2. How do I convert units?

To convert units, you need to know the relationship between the two units and use a conversion factor to multiply or divide the original quantity. For example, to convert 10 inches to centimeters, you would multiply 10 by 2.54 to get 25.4 centimeters.

3. What is the importance of using standard units?

Standard units provide a consistent and uniform way to measure and communicate physical quantities. This allows for easier comparison and standardization in scientific experiments and measurements.

4. Can units be converted between different systems of measurement?

Yes, units can be converted between different systems of measurement as long as the conversion factor is known. For example, to convert from miles to kilometers, you would multiply by 1.609 to get the equivalent distance.

5. How do I know which unit to use for a specific measurement?

The unit used for a specific measurement should be chosen based on the quantity being measured and the level of precision required. It is important to use units that are appropriate for the scale of the measurement to ensure accuracy.