Questions about Universal Gravitation

In summary, the conversation discusses Universal Gravitation and its effects on satellite orbits and the rotation of celestial bodies. It explains that satellites launched with velocities greater or lesser than the required launch velocity will have elliptical orbits around the Earth. It also mentions that the Earth and moon rotate around their common center of mass due to the symmetric nature of gravity. The conversation also touches on the concept of escape velocity and how it determines the shape of a satellite's orbit. Finally, it is mentioned that the barycentric center of mass is where two objects will rotate around each other.
Blood Junkie
A couple of questions about Universal Gravitation..

When satellites are launched with velocities greater or lesser than the required launch velocity [Underroot(G*Mass of earth/Radius of Earth)], their orbits become elliptical with the Earth as the near or far focus. Why?

Also, 'The Earth and moon must rotate about their common centre of mass, rather than the moon about the centre of mass of the earth'. Why?

This is A Level physics, incase that is of any use.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gosh that's hard to answer! What really made Isaac Newton's reputation (the reason why he is more famous that Leibniz, the other "founder" of calculus was that he was able to answer that question! The answer would still take several pages of calculation. Here, I can only say that one can show that, with an "inverse square" law force, like gravity, paths of motion MUST be "conic sections" (circle, ellipse, parabola, hyperbola- with straight line as a "degenerate conic") with the center of force at a focus. The circle (which is really a special ellipse) and ellipse are the only closed "orbits". By the way, if the velocity of a satellite is greater than "escape velocity" the motions is a parabola or hyperbola, not an orbit.

The reason it is, strictly speaking, the centre of mass rather than one of the two objects at the focus is that gravity is symmetric- I pull on you, you pull on me. Imagine two objects of equal mass: which would orbit around which?

Originally posted by HallsofIvy
By the way, if the velocity of a satellite is greater than "escape velocity" the motions is a parabola or hyperbola, not an orbit.
Not to quibble, as I know you know this, but a parabolic orbit is one with exactly zero energy (in other words, the object is moving at exactly escape velocity). Orbits with E > 0 are always hyperbolae.

- Warren

"Not to quibble"! Hah! You know you enjoy quibbling! :wink:

What my prof. taught me was that:::

There is a gravitational field surrounding the Earth (generally taken to be circular in numerical problems) .The launch velocity you are talking about is root of GM/R.This is the required velocity which will provide necessary cent. force for the satellite to revolve around the earth.

The grav. field around Earth can be considered to be a type of energy barrier which has to be overcome to escape into the space (better known as escape velocity).CASES:

If V is the vel. provided to a satellite
Ve is the escape velocity
Vo is the launch velocity

then Vo<V -------------
falls to earth-----like a projectile ...cannot overcome enegry barrier...can be known by type on conic section it makes..

when V=Vo

Moves around Earth in a circle

when V is almost greater than Vo

Approaches elliptical path while revolving around earth

when V is greater than escape velocity

Goes outta the field of earth...breaks the energy barrier and becaomes par/hyperbolic

^^^^^

This eventually shows that as u give the satellite more velocity...thus more KE ...and thus with more energy ..it has more ability of overcoming the energy barrier...which is indicated by increase in shapes of the path taken by the satellite on providing diff. velocities.

About yr second question:

Consider earth-moon sys ... as two ends of a rod rotating about their c.m.It is not possible for one end to rotate about the other end ..only possible when other end is stationary..
Moreover...two cellestial bodies if seen rotating ...rotate around their common centre of mass under each other's grav. influence.

This was what I read in One of my Books.
Dr.Brain

Last edited:
The second question was answered pretty well by Dr. Brain, but I'd like to add one thing.

Two objects will rotate around their barycentric center of mass, which is the point at which the mass on one side of the point of rotation equals the mass on the opposite side of the point of rotation.

When applied to the Earth and the moon, the barycentric center of mass is somewhere in between the Earth's core and it's crust

1. What is universal gravitation?

Universal gravitation is the fundamental physical force that explains the attraction between all objects with mass in the universe. It was first described by Sir Isaac Newton in his famous law of universal gravitation, which states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does universal gravitation affect objects on Earth?

Universal gravitation is responsible for the force of gravity that keeps objects on Earth from floating away into space. Without this force, objects would have no weight and would not stay in orbit around the Earth. The strength of gravity on Earth is determined by the mass of the Earth and the distance between an object and the Earth's center.

3. How does the mass of an object affect its gravitational force?

The greater the mass of an object, the stronger its gravitational force will be. This means that objects with larger masses will attract other objects with a greater force. For example, the Earth's mass is much greater than the mass of a person, so the Earth's gravitational force is much stronger and keeps us firmly on the ground.

4. How is universal gravitation related to the motion of planets?

Universal gravitation is responsible for the motion of planets in our solar system. The gravitational force between the Sun and each planet keeps them in orbit around each other. The strength of gravity decreases as the distance between two objects increases, which is why planets that are farther from the Sun have longer orbital periods than those that are closer.

5. Is universal gravitation a constant force?

Yes, universal gravitation is a constant force that acts between all objects in the universe with mass. This means that it will always be present and exerting its force, regardless of the distance between objects. However, its strength may vary depending on the masses and distances of the objects involved.