Questions from a student with a mathematics minor who wants to do a major

In summary, the conversation revolved around the question of how to go back to school for a degree in math after already completing an undergraduate degree with a minor in math and major in an unrelated field. The suggestion was made to speak with academic advisers and consider pursuing a Master's degree in math, as it would provide more in-depth study and potentially better opportunities than earning another Bachelor's degree.
MathDork00
Hi guys,

My cousin wants to start a new BS in math after him having finished his undergraduate degree with a minor in math and major in an unrelated field. As me being the little cousin already doing math, he asked me for advice. The problem is, I really have no clue as to what to say! Naturally, I told him to speak with whatever academic advisers that he can, but I wanted to know what your guys' thoughts were on the matter.

So, I guess the question would be "If I finished undergraduate with a minor in mathematics, and an unrelated major, how do I go about going back to school for a degree in math?"

Physics news on Phys.org
A lot of the opportunities are likely based on the the class he/she took to finish the minor. Has your cousin though about trying for a masters program in math? Depending on which classes were taken to earn the minor, your cousin may be able to get into a decent masters program (with a solid GRE score as well). In my opinion, earning a MS would be better than earning another BS. Again, that's just me though.

I would agree with the above that a mathematics master's sounds a better option at this point. A minor often covers core fundamentals, while a major involves more in depth study with electives and such, and realistically many of these can be undertaken in a master's program.

What does it mean to have a mathematics minor?

A mathematics minor is an academic program that requires students to take a certain number of mathematics courses in addition to their major coursework. It is typically a smaller version of a major in mathematics and provides students with a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and theories.

Can I switch from a mathematics minor to a major?

It is possible to switch from a mathematics minor to a major, but it may require additional coursework and a longer time to complete your degree. It is important to talk to your academic advisor and carefully consider the requirements and workload before making the switch.

What are the benefits of having a mathematics minor for a major in a different field?

Having a mathematics minor can provide students with a strong analytical and problem-solving skills that are applicable to many fields. It can also make them more competitive in the job market, especially in fields that require data analysis or quantitative skills.

Do I need to have a strong background in mathematics to pursue a major in it?

While having a strong foundation in mathematics can be helpful, it is not always necessary to have a major in mathematics. Many universities offer introductory courses for students with little background in the subject, and with hard work and dedication, anyone can succeed in a mathematics major.

What careers can I pursue with a major in mathematics?

A major in mathematics can lead to a variety of careers in fields such as finance, data analysis, statistics, engineering, and computer science. It can also provide a strong basis for graduate studies in mathematics or related fields.