Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions from a student with a mathematics minor who wants to do a major

1. Jan 6, 2010 #1
    Hi guys,

My cousin wants to start a new BS in math after him having finished his undergraduate degree with a minor in math and major in an unrelated field. As me being the little cousin already doing math, he asked me for advice. The problem is, I really have no clue as to what to say! Naturally, I told him to speak with whatever academic advisers that he can, but I wanted to know what your guys' thoughts were on the matter.

So, I guess the question would be "If I finished undergraduate with a minor in mathematics, and an unrelated major, how do I go about going back to school for a degree in math?"

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2010 #2

Cod

A lot of the opportunities are likely based on the the class he/she took to finish the minor. Has your cousin though about trying for a masters program in math? Depending on which classes were taken to earn the minor, your cousin may be able to get into a decent masters program (with a solid GRE score as well). In my opinion, earning a MS would be better than earning another BS. Again, that's just me though.

4. Jan 9, 2010 #3
    I would agree with the above that a mathematics master's sounds a better option at this point. A minor often covers core fundamentals, while a major involves more in depth study with electives and such, and realistically many of these can be undertaken in a master's program.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook