1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Questions from a student with a mathematics minor who wants to do a major

1. Jan 6, 2010 #1
    Hi guys,

My cousin wants to start a new BS in math after him having finished his undergraduate degree with a minor in math and major in an unrelated field. As me being the little cousin already doing math, he asked me for advice. The problem is, I really have no clue as to what to say! Naturally, I told him to speak with whatever academic advisers that he can, but I wanted to know what your guys' thoughts were on the matter.

So, I guess the question would be "If I finished undergraduate with a minor in mathematics, and an unrelated major, how do I go about going back to school for a degree in math?"

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 6, 2010 #2

Cod

A lot of the opportunities are likely based on the the class he/she took to finish the minor. Has your cousin though about trying for a masters program in math? Depending on which classes were taken to earn the minor, your cousin may be able to get into a decent masters program (with a solid GRE score as well). In my opinion, earning a MS would be better than earning another BS. Again, that's just me though.

4. Jan 9, 2010 #3
    I would agree with the above that a mathematics master's sounds a better option at this point. A minor often covers core fundamentals, while a major involves more in depth study with electives and such, and realistically many of these can be undertaken in a master's program.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook