Questions on forces and coefficients

In summary: I'll try that then.In summary, Kingbaldur was trying to figure out the coefficient of friction for a simple pulley system. He found that it was .16.
Kingbaldur

Homework Statement

Hello, this is my first time posting, I've run into a bit of a snag in my physics lab. I am to figure out the coefficient of friction based on the values we found in the lab. Now I found them out however I just want to be sure that I am doing this right. these values were determined using a simple,horizontal pulley system that ran off the end of a table

Homework Equations

F=MA
coefficient of friction= Force of friction/force normal

The Attempt at a Solution

So I have the weight on the table at 1,045g and the weight required to pull this weight towards the end of the table was 170g.
I figured the force of friction was the mass of the pulley (170g) X the acceleration of Gravity, so F=170g X 9.8 m/s squared which came out to be 1666N

Now the force normal i figured to be the same way. The weight on top of the table was 1,045g X 9.8m/s squared which came out to be 10241N

so now I have the force of friction to be 1666N and the force normal to be 10241N
I then used the coefficient of friction equation, 1666N/10241N which came out to be .16

So after all that my coefficient of friction was .16
Could anyone please tell me if I am doing this right? I believe I am but would like to be sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
A Newton is a kg*m/s^2, not a g*m/s^2. So the gravity on the weight wouldn't be 1045g*9.8 m/s; it would be 1.045 kg *9.8 m/s. Otherwise, your work is right.

Welcome to PF!

Hi Kingbaldur! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(I take it that the table and the string are both exactly horizontal, and that you're measuring the coefficient of static friction?)

Yes, your method is correct, but you could just have left g as g (instead of multiplying by 9.8 twice), and said 170g/1045g = .16 :wink:

Hmm, I see, well thanks to both of you.

1. What are the different types of forces?

There are four fundamental forces in nature: gravity, electromagnetism, strong nuclear force, and weak nuclear force. Other types of forces include friction, tension, normal force, and applied force.

2. What is the difference between mass and weight?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter an object contains, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is measured in kilograms, while weight is measured in newtons.

3. What is the coefficient of friction?

The coefficient of friction is a dimensionless constant that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces in contact. It is determined by the nature of the surfaces and can range from 0 (no friction) to 1 (high friction).

4. Is friction always bad?

No, friction can be both beneficial and detrimental. It can help us walk, grip objects, and drive vehicles, but it can also cause wear and tear on machines and slow down motion. The amount of friction depends on the materials and the situation.

5. How do you calculate the net force on an object?

To calculate the net force on an object, you need to determine the individual forces acting on the object and their directions. Then, you can use the formula Fnet = ma, where Fnet is the net force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration.