Questions With Integral Calculus

In summary, the conversation was about finding two integrals: 1. ∫2x^3 sin(x^2)dx and 2.∫ x(2x-3)^1/3dx. The person attempted to solve the second problem using u-substitution, but got a strange answer and encountered an error message on their calculator. For the first problem, they were unsure which term to use and were advised to use integration by parts.
DJChalf

Homework Statement

find the following integrals.

Homework Equations

1. ∫2x^3 sin(x^2)dx

2.∫ x(2x-3)^1/3dx

The Attempt at a Solution

Using U-Sub for number 2 i ended with ((3(2x-3)^7/3)/28)+((9(2x-3)^4/3)/16)+C

I apologize for the form but I'm new here and don't really know how all the notations work.

The answer I got for problem 2 just looked weird to me and when i try to check the work integrating on my TI-89 i get an error message saying "invalid implied multiply".

Problem 1 I am completely lost on I've tried using substitution but I'm having troubles with what term i should be using...

Physics news on Phys.org
For (1), first let u= x2, then use integratation by parts.

You have (2) correct.

DJChalf said:

Using U-Sub for number 2 i ended with ((3(2x-3)^7/3)/28)+((9(2x-3)^4/3)/16)+C

Do you mean

[tex]\frac{3}{28}(2x-3)^{7/3}+\frac{9}{16}(2x-3)^{4/3}+C[/tex]?

That is wrong.

ehild

Related to Questions With Integral Calculus

1. What is integral calculus?

Integral calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with calculating the area under a curve or the accumulation of a quantity over a given interval. It is used to solve problems involving continuous quantities such as distance, velocity, and acceleration.

2. What is the difference between integral calculus and differential calculus?

Differential calculus is concerned with finding the rate of change of a function, while integral calculus deals with finding the total change or accumulation of a quantity over an interval. In other words, differential calculus focuses on the slope of a curve, while integral calculus deals with the area under the curve.

3. What is the fundamental theorem of calculus?

The fundamental theorem of calculus is a fundamental concept in integral calculus that states that the integral of a function can be calculated by finding the antiderivative of that function. It provides a link between differential and integral calculus and is used extensively in solving integration problems.

4. How is integral calculus used in real life?

Integrals are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics to calculate quantities such as work, volume, and probability. They are also used in designing and analyzing curves, surfaces, and other complex shapes.

5. What are some common techniques for solving integration problems?

Some common techniques for solving integration problems include substitution, integration by parts, partial fractions, and trigonometric substitution. These techniques involve manipulating the integrand to make it easier to integrate and using known integration rules and formulas to find the antiderivative.