Quick Current and Resistance problem

In summary, the problem given is to find the power loss due to resistance in a high-voltage transmission line with a resistance of 0.305 Ω/km and a length of 179 km. The formulas provided are I^2R=power and (Change in V)^2/R. To solve the problem, the total resistance of the power line must be determined by multiplying 0.305 Ω/km by 179 km. This value is then used in the I^2R formula to find the power lost. However, it is important to note that there are two lengths of wire 179km long in the transmission line, so the total distance should be used in the calculation.
Omat128
A problem is "A high-voltage transmission line with a resistance of 0.305 Ω/km carries a current of 1.10 kA. The line is at a potential of 800 kV at the power station and carries the current to a city located 179 km from the power station. What is the power loss due to resistance in the line?".

So the formulas i have are I^2R=power and (Change in V)^2/R. I just do not know how to put these together to save my life. I'd appreciate any help i can get. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you determine the total resistance of the power line?

Yup, i got it. Multiply the .305 times 179km, and then just plug that in the I squared R formula. And then you get the power lost. Thanks so much.

Not so fast there, buckaroo. The 0.305 Ohms/km is the resistance of the wire. There are two lengths of wire 179km long that make up the transmission line. The current has to circulate around the full loop, right? So what distance should you use in your calculation to figure out the total power lost by the current flowing in the wire(s)?

1. What is Quick Current and Resistance problem?

The Quick Current and Resistance problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the current and resistance in an electrical circuit. It requires knowledge of Ohm's law, which states that current is equal to voltage divided by resistance.

2. How do I solve a Quick Current and Resistance problem?

To solve a Quick Current and Resistance problem, you will need to first identify the given values for voltage and resistance in the circuit. Then, you can use Ohm's law to calculate the current. Finally, you can use other equations, such as Kirchhoff's laws, to solve for other unknown values in the circuit.

3. What are some common units used in Quick Current and Resistance problems?

The most common units used in Quick Current and Resistance problems are volts (V) for voltage, ohms (Ω) for resistance, and amperes (A) for current. These units can also be expressed in their base SI units, which are joules per coulomb for voltage, volts per ampere for resistance, and coulombs per second for current.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve Quick Current and Resistance problems?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve Quick Current and Resistance problems. However, it is important to make sure that you are using the correct formulas and inputting the values correctly to get an accurate answer. It is also helpful to double-check your calculations and units to avoid any errors.

5. What are some real-life applications of Quick Current and Resistance problems?

Quick Current and Resistance problems have many applications in our daily lives, such as in household circuits, electronic devices, and power grids. They are also used in industries like telecommunications, transportation, and renewable energy systems. Understanding these concepts can help us troubleshoot electrical problems and design more efficient and safe systems.