Quick dimensional analysis question check

In summary: The equation in this case is just pascal*second=mass*meters/(meter^2*second). Substituting in the units and solving for s gives us kg*s*m/s=kg*m*s. This is very close to the viscosity value of mgb=1 kg*s*m/s. This confirms that your equation was correct and that you do not need to worry about coefficients in your solution.
jianxu
Hi, I haven't looked at math/physics in awhile and want to make sure I did this correctly lol

Homework Statement

The viscosity of a gas depends on the mass(m), the effective diamtere(d) of the gas and the mean speed(v) of the gas molecules. The unit of viscosity is (pascal * second). use dimensional analysis to derive an expression dependent on m,d and v.

Homework Equations

I know that 1 Pascal = 1 Newton / area(I assume this is the surface area of a gas molecule)

The Attempt at a Solution

My thought is to just solve and break the Newton part into mass*acceleration, so I canceled all the powers and ended up with:
pascal * second = (mass*meters)/(meter^2(for surface area of a sphere) * second) which after substituting all the units for the variables, I got:
(m*v)/(8*pi*d^2)I've become really rusty with this and any help/suggestions is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much! ^_^

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anyone able to confirm if I've done this correctly or not? thanks

viscosity = pa s = pressure * time
pressure = force / area = mass * accelaration / area = kg m s-2 /m2 = kg s-2 m-1

so viscosity = kg s-2 m-1 s = kg s-1 m-1 = mass / (length * time)

Equations involving dimensional analysis should not have coefficients in them. The idea is to guess what the Viscosity is proportional to by consideration of units only. Even if you get it right, you can't say what the proportionality constant is without experiment. So in your first attempt at a solution, there shouldn't be any pi or 8 in it. I should only have the m, d, or v in the solution. The only numbers should be what you need for the exponents on m, d, or v.

Oh I see so it's just pretty much converting what the units are into their corresponding variables? In that case, the answer would just be (m*v)/(d^2) correct? To make it dependent on mass(m), speed(v), and diameter(d).

Since the units of your answer seem to match the units of viscosity demonstrated by mgb, in my opinion it would be an acceptable answer.

Thanks for your help ^_^

You're welcome!
Dimensional analysis is a much underated skill, apart form letting you check your answer it provides a good way of guessing the equation (give or take 2pi).

What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical method used to convert units from one form to another. It involves using conversion factors and canceling out units to arrive at a desired unit.

Why is dimensional analysis important in science?

Dimensional analysis is important in science because it allows for consistency and accuracy in measurements. It also helps to identify relationships between different quantities and units, making it easier to interpret data.

What are the steps involved in dimensional analysis?

The steps involved in dimensional analysis are:
1. Identify the starting unit and desired unit
2. Write down the conversion factors
3. Cancel out unwanted units
4. Perform the necessary calculations
5. Check the final unit to make sure it is correct

Can dimensional analysis be used for complex calculations?

Yes, dimensional analysis can be used for complex calculations. It is a versatile method that can be applied to a wide range of units and quantities, making it useful for solving complex problems in science and engineering.

What are some common mistakes made in dimensional analysis?

Some common mistakes made in dimensional analysis include using incorrect conversion factors, not canceling out units properly, and forgetting to include units in the final answer. It is important to double check all calculations and units to avoid these errors.