Finding Electric Field with Gauss's Law on a Sphere with Varying Charge Density

In summary: This is what I was getting at...The charge in the problem is not d, it's q.In summary, you made a mistake and the Electric field is E*4 \pi r^2 = (4/5)*\pi*do*r^5/ \epsilono incorrectly.
Alouette

Homework Statement

A sphere of radius a has a charge density that varies with distance from its center d(r) = do*(r/a)**2.

Express the electric field as a function of distance from the center of the sphere r, a, do, and the permitivity of free space ez for each of the falling regions:

0<r<a

Homework Equations

[itex]\Phi[/itex]*dA= Q/[itex]\epsilon[/itex]o

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Gauss's Law I have E*4 [itex]\pi[/itex] r^2 = (4/5)*[itex]\pi[/itex]*do*r^3/ [itex]\epsilon[/itex]o

so E = (1/5)*do*r/[itex]\epsilon[/itex]o

But this isn't the right answer...help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Alouette said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Using Gauss's Law I have E*4 [itex]\pi[/itex] r^2 = (4/5)*[itex]\pi[/itex]*do*r^3/ [itex]\epsilon[/itex]o

so E = (1/5)*do*r/[itex]\epsilon[/itex]o

But this isn't the right answer...help?

You made a mistake, E*4 [itex]\pi[/itex] r^2 = (4/5)*[itex]\pi[/itex]*do*r^5/ [itex]\epsilon[/itex]o correctly.

ehild

Oh ok, I see that now. How come it's r^5 instead of r^3? I'm just having trouble with the actual picture of the sphere I guess.

Show your work in detail. ehild

I would, but I barely have an idea of the problem. The professor is just rushing through examples without covering the concept and barely touching the points.

I can see though that Q = (4/5)*π*do*r^5
but I don't understand why...I thought charge didn't have to do with area (as it looks to be because of the pi) and that the charge in this problem was d?

Sorry for the complete lack of understanding, just trying to figure this out..

Gauss' Law states that the integral of E around a closed surface is equal to the enclosed charge divided by epsilon-nought.

You need the charge enclosed in a sphere of radius r<a. The charge density depends on the distance from the centre, ρ. The charge Δq confined in a shell is Δq=volume of the shell *charge density d(ρ).
The volume of the shell of radius ρ and thickness Δρ is 4πρ^2Δρ. To get the whole charge, Δq should be integrated from ρ=0 to ρ=r.

[tex]q=\int_0^r{(d_0\frac{ρ^2}{a^2})4πρ^2dρ}[/tex]

ehild

What is Quick Gauss' Law Answer Check?

Quick Gauss' Law Answer Check is a tool used to quickly and accurately check the solutions to problems involving Gauss' Law, which is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism.

How does Quick Gauss' Law Answer Check work?

Quick Gauss' Law Answer Check uses a numerical integration technique called the Gauss-Legendre quadrature method to evaluate the electric field at a given point. It then compares this value to the expected result from the problem's solution, providing an answer check.

Is Quick Gauss' Law Answer Check accurate?

Yes, Quick Gauss' Law Answer Check is highly accurate and has been extensively tested against known solutions to problems involving Gauss' Law. However, as with any tool, it is important to double check your work and use it as a supplement to your own calculations.

Can Quick Gauss' Law Answer Check be used for any problem involving Gauss' Law?

Yes, Quick Gauss' Law Answer Check can be used for any problem involving Gauss' Law as long as the problem can be solved using the Gauss-Legendre quadrature method. However, it may not be suitable for problems with highly complex or irregularly shaped charge distributions.

Is Quick Gauss' Law Answer Check free to use?

Yes, Quick Gauss' Law Answer Check is free to use and is available as an online tool or as a downloadable program. It is a helpful resource for students and professionals alike in the field of electromagnetism.