Wavelength & Frequency: No Change

In summary, if a wave with wavelength 1.5 cm and frequency 8Hz, is viewed through a stroboscope with 6Hz, the change of its wavelength is 0.75 cm.
primarygun
If a wave with wavelength 1.5 cm and frequency 8Hz, is viewed through a stroboscope with 6Hz, what's the change of its wavelength?
My answer is not identical to what in my textbook.
My thought is :there is no change of the wavelength, as the time given is enough for the wave to move over one wavelength.

Physics news on Phys.org
anyone helps?" Need to help my friend

primarygun said:
If a wave with wavelength 1.5 cm and frequency 8Hz, is viewed through a stroboscope with 6Hz, what's the change of its wavelength?
My thought is :there is no change of the wavelength, as the time given is enough for the wave to move over one wavelength.
are you sure the problem requests the change in apparent wavelength, and not the change in apparent frequency or apparent velocity?
btw, what answer does the textbook give?

Thanks for kind response.
It is the observed wavelength and the answer is 0.75 cm, half of the wavelength.

primarygun said:
from the stated problem, it seems you'd perceive an apparent change in frequency, not in wavelength. it seems like you'd be able to see the physical extent of the wave and be able to measure the wavelength directly during each strobe pulse. thus, you'd not detect any apparent change in wavelength.

on the other hand, the frequency would appear to change. because the strobe frequency of 6 Hz is not aligned (or "synced") with the wave frequency of 8 Hz, the viewer would only see a wave peak return to a given position every 1/2 second (= 3 strobes @ 6 Hz = 4 wave cycles @ 8 Hz). that's the shortest elapsed time for which the 6 Hz strobe can coincide with the 8 Hz wave's peak returning to a given position:
Code:
strobe     wave peak @ given position
 (sec)         (sec)
   0 **       ** 0
  1/6           1/8
  2/6           2/8
   ...          3/8
  3/6 **     ** 4/8  ---- wave period would appear to be 1/2 sec
wave period would appear to be 1/2 sec, so freq would appear to be f=(1/Period)=(2 Hz).
thus, problem answer seems to be:
wave frequency would appear to change from 8 Hz to 2 Hz .

Last edited:

1. What is the relationship between wavelength and frequency when there is no change?

The relationship between wavelength and frequency when there is no change is inversely proportional. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation: wavelength = speed of light / frequency.

2. What is the significance of "no change" in the context of wavelength and frequency?

The term "no change" in the context of wavelength and frequency refers to a constant value for both properties. This means that the wavelength and frequency are not changing in a given medium or system, and their values remain the same.

3. How does the speed of light affect the wavelength and frequency when there is no change?

The speed of light is a constant value that determines the relationship between wavelength and frequency when there is no change. As the speed of light remains constant, any changes in either wavelength or frequency will affect the other property accordingly.

4. Can wavelength and frequency both be zero when there is no change?

No, wavelength and frequency cannot both be zero when there is no change. This is because the speed of light is a non-zero value, and according to the equation wavelength = speed of light / frequency, at least one of the values must be non-zero.

5. How is "no change" in wavelength and frequency observed in real-life situations?

"No change" in wavelength and frequency can be observed in various real-life situations, such as in the electromagnetic spectrum. In this spectrum, the wavelength and frequency of different types of electromagnetic radiation, such as radio waves, microwaves, and visible light, remain constant. This allows us to classify and use these types of radiation for various purposes.