1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Quick question about constant of motion

1. May 8, 2012 #1
    I have found that ##J = m r^2 \sin^2 \theta \dot{\phi}^2 ## is a constant of motion. How is this orbital angular momentum in the ##\theta = 0 ## direction? It is a particle moving in a central force field.

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2012 #2
    Shouldn't that be [itex] J = m r^2 \sin^2(\theta) \dot{\phi} [/itex] ? I guess you should try to compare this to the "usual" definition, which is [itex] \mathbf{J} = \mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{p} [/itex]

4. May 12, 2012 #3
    I can't work that out i can't do a cross product in polar coordinates.

## J = r p \sin (\theta) ##

## p = m r \dot{\phi} \sin (\theta) ## ?

## J = m r^2 \sin^2(\theta) \dot{\phi} ##

5. May 14, 2012 #4
    The cross product works exactly like with the usual rectangular coordinates. If you want to make it more straightforward, take the absolute value so you don't have to worry about sign conventions. If you are really worried, you can also transform back to rectangular coordinates but that's a ton of unneeded work.

6. May 14, 2012 #5

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Gregg! :smile:
    If you draw a "horizontal" circle, it has radius rsinθ, and the component of velocity parallel to the circle is φ'rsinθ :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook