Quick question on Pulley Force Problems

In summary, the problem involves a 32kg block connected to a 1kg bucket by a cord over a frictionless pulley. The coefficient of static friction is 0.41 and the coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.34. The goal is to find the acceleration when 6.1kg and 7.3kg of sand are added to the bucket. The correct net force calculation is 24.696, but it should be solved with separate equations for each part of the system. When the additional 7.3kg is added and the gravitational force overcomes the static frictional force, the coefficient of kinetic friction should be used to calculate the force. The mistake in the calculation was forgetting to include the
frownifdown
Alright, so I'm doing this homework problem: "A 32·kg block is connected to an empty 1·kg bucket by a cord running over a frictionless pulley. The coefficient of static friction between the table and the block is 0.41 and the coefficient of kinetic friction between the table and the block is 0.34." And I need to find out the acceleration if 6.1kg of sand is put in the bucket, which I figured out is 0. Now I'm trying to find the acceleration if 7.3kg MORE is put in the bucket.

I have my Fnet as +24.696. When I put it in the equation Fnet=ma, to solve for the a, what masses do I use. Do I have it set up as 24.696=(32+13.4+1)a? Because I have that right now and it's giving me .53 which isn't the right answer. Where did I go wrong in that calculation?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks like your net force calculation is wrong, maybe you have made a math error. Please show how you arrived at it.
It is often not wise to look at the combined system of masses in one fell swoop . You instead should look at FBDs of each part of the system separately, getting 2 equations with 2 unknowns you can solve.

Once the additional 7.3 kg are added and you find that the gravitational force is enough to overcome the static frictional force, you have to use the coefficient of kinetic friction to calculate that force. That should correct the problem.

I actually just figured out what I did wrong. I forgot to incorporate the 1kg of the empty bucket into it. Thank you!

Hello,

In this problem, you have correctly identified the forces acting on the system: the weight of the block, the weight of the sand, and the tension in the cord. However, the masses you are using in your calculation are incorrect. The mass of the sand should be 6.1kg, not 13.4kg, since you are only adding 6.1kg more to the existing 1kg bucket.

The correct equation to use would be: 24.696 = (32+6.1+1)a. Solving for a, we get a = 0.623 m/s^2. This means that the acceleration of the system is 0.623 m/s^2 when 7.3kg of sand is added to the bucket.

I recommend checking your calculations and making sure you are using the correct values for the masses. Double check your units as well to make sure they are consistent throughout the equation. I hope this helps!

1. What is a pulley force problem?

A pulley force problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the forces acting on a system of pulleys and ropes. These problems are typically used to determine the mechanical advantage and efficiency of a pulley system.

2. How do you solve a pulley force problem?

To solve a pulley force problem, you first need to draw a free-body diagram of the system, labeling all the forces acting on each object. Then, you can use Newton's laws of motion and the principles of conservation of energy and momentum to set up and solve equations for the unknown forces.

3. What is mechanical advantage in a pulley system?

Mechanical advantage is the ratio of the output force to the input force in a pulley system. It is used to measure the effectiveness of a pulley system in reducing the amount of force needed to lift an object.

4. What factors affect the mechanical advantage of a pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a pulley system can be affected by the number of pulleys, the arrangement of the pulleys, and the angle of the ropes. The more pulleys in the system and the more complex the arrangement, the greater the mechanical advantage.

5. How can pulley force problems be applied in real life?

Pulley force problems have many practical applications, such as in lifting heavy objects, hoisting sails on a boat, and operating cranes and elevators. They are also used in engineering and design to optimize the mechanical advantage of pulley systems in various machines and structures.