Calculating Relative Speed in Special Relativity: A Quick Guide

In summary, the question asks for the relative speed of a frame where two events occur simultaneously, given that in the original frame, the events are separated spatially by 3 light years and occur 1 year apart. The Lorentz transformation equation is used to solve for the relative speed, with careful attention to units.
bon

Homework Statement

In a certain frame S, two events A and B are separated spatially by 3ly with A occurring 1 year before B. What must be the relative speed of a frame S' such that the two events occur simultaneously?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Don't I just use: dt' = gamma(dt-B/c dx)

but when i put in dt = 1 and dx = 3 i get to gamma = 3B/c which i can't solve! am i doing it right?

Physics news on Phys.org
i basically come to c^2 = 9B^2(1-B^2)

where have i gone wrong/

anyone?

bon said:
Don't I just use: dt' = gamma(dt-B/c dx)

but when i put in dt = 1 and dx = 3 i get to gamma = 3B/c which i can't solve! am i doing it right?
You need to be more careful with the units, for one thing. Show how you got γ=3β/c. (Note the units don't work out in that equation.)

Wow. Careless mistake..!

B=c/3 yes?

Close. I think it's better to write the Lorentz transformation equation this way:

[tex]ct' = \gamma(ct - \beta x)[/tex]

Both ct and x have units of length, so β must be unitless.

hmm weird..

so i set t'=0 so divide through by gamma..left with ct=Bx...which gives my answer..where did i go wrong?

What are the units of t, the units of ct, the units of x, and the units of β?

i see. sorry. so c=1 in my result..B=1/3

That's a common convention, but I doubt you're using it in your class. The reason I say this is because when you use units where c=1, c typically doesn't appear in the equations.

If you use c=1, then time is measured in units of length, so t=1 ly. If you don't use c=1, then t=1 yr, and ct = 1 ly. Either way, you'll get the answer you found.

1. What is Quick Special Relativity Q?

Quick Special Relativity Q is a simplified version of Einstein's theory of special relativity. It describes the relationship between time, space, and motion in a specific reference frame.

2. How is Quick Special Relativity Q different from traditional special relativity?

Quick Special Relativity Q is a simplified version that does not require advanced mathematical concepts, making it more accessible to a wider audience. It also focuses on the basic principles and outcomes of special relativity rather than the complex equations.

3. What are the key principles of Quick Special Relativity Q?

The key principles of Quick Special Relativity Q include the constancy of the speed of light, time dilation, length contraction, and the equivalence of mass and energy. These principles help explain how time, space, and motion are relative to the observer's reference frame.

4. What real-world applications does Quick Special Relativity Q have?

Quick Special Relativity Q has many practical applications, including GPS technology, particle accelerators, and nuclear power. It also helps scientists understand the behavior of objects moving at high speeds and the effects of gravity on space and time.

5. Can Quick Special Relativity Q be proven experimentally?

Yes, Quick Special Relativity Q has been tested and verified through numerous experiments, including the famous Michelson-Morley experiment. Its predictions have also been confirmed through observations in various fields of science, such as astronomy and particle physics.