Proving Linear Isomorphism: Quotient Spaces in Vector Subspaces

In summary, the student is trying to find a map from a vector space to itself such that the kernel is the same for both vectors. He is stuck because he does not know how to relate quotient spaces to other concepts in linear algebra.
lineintegral1
Hey all,

We have not covered quotient vector spaces in class, but my homework (due before next lecture) covers a few proofs regarding quotient spaces. I've done some reading on them and some of their aspects, but as it is still a new concept, I am struggling with how to go about this proof.

Homework Statement

Let [itex]M,N\subset L[/itex] where [itex]L[/itex] is a vector space and [itex]M,N[/itex] are linear subspaces of [itex]L[/itex]. Prove that the following mapping is a linear isomorphism:

[tex](M+N)/N \rightarrow M/M \cap N[/tex]2. The attempt at a solution

Well, I understand that the general approach to proving this would be to show that the morphism is bijective. Thus, I want to show that whatever is in the codomain is in the domain such that it gets mapped to the codomain. I also want to show that uniqueness in the codomain implies uniqueness in the domain. Can someone give me some tips as to how to work with quotient spaces such that I can relate these to more elementary linear algebra problems?

Hope that all makes sense. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is actually a fairly generic results, and can be applied to groups, rings, modules, and vector spaces (although the notation has to change a bit). The way it is traditionally done is by finding a surjective map from M to [itex] \frac{M+N}N [/itex] and showing that the kernel is [itex] M \cap N[/itex]. Can you think of a map for which this is true?

Sorry, I'm still a little stuck here, are you just saying find any map with those properties? Is there a particular one I'm looking for? Or is it arbitrary? Again, I'm still trying to figure out how these quotient spaces work. How can I find such a map whose kernel relates to the intersection in that way?

Maybe there is another way of doing this for vector spaces, and if that is the case then I'm sorry that I'm misleading you.

Anyway, you need to know two things. First off, is that if [itex]\phi: V \to W[/itex] is a linear map of vector spaces, then
[tex] \text{Im}\phi \cong V/\ker \phi [/tex]
where [itex] \text{Im}\phi = \phi(V)[/itex] is the image of [itex] \phi [/itex].

Now since the map is linear, you know that [itex] \phi(0_V) = 0_W [/itex]. Translating this into your language, you know that [itex] \phi(0_M) = 0_{(M+N)/N} = N [/itex]. Hope that helps.

Related to Proving Linear Isomorphism: Quotient Spaces in Vector Subspaces

1. What is a quotient space in linear algebra?

A quotient space in linear algebra is a vector space that is obtained by dividing a larger vector space by a subspace. It consists of all the cosets of the subspace, which are the sets formed by adding any element from the subspace to each vector in the larger vector space.

2. How do you prove that two quotient spaces are isomorphic?

To prove that two quotient spaces are isomorphic, you must show that there exists a linear transformation between them that is both injective and surjective. This means that the transformation must be one-to-one and onto, preserving both the structure and dimension of the original vector space.

3. What is the significance of proving linear isomorphism in quotient spaces?

The significance of proving linear isomorphism in quotient spaces is that it allows us to understand the relationship between vector subspaces and their quotients. It also helps us to solve problems involving vector subspaces and their quotients, as isomorphism preserves important properties such as dimension and linear independence.

4. Can a quotient space be isomorphic to the original vector space?

Yes, a quotient space can be isomorphic to the original vector space. This can happen when the subspace being divided out has a trivial intersection with the original vector space, or when the subspace is a direct summand of the original vector space.

5. What are the main steps involved in proving linear isomorphism in quotient spaces?

The main steps involved in proving linear isomorphism in quotient spaces are:

• Define a linear transformation between the two quotient spaces.
  • Show that the transformation is well-defined, meaning that it does not depend on the choice of representatives from the cosets.
  • Prove that the transformation is one-to-one, by showing that the kernel (the set of vectors that map to 0) is trivial.
  • Prove that the transformation is onto, by showing that every vector in the target space can be reached by the transformation.
  • Lastly, show that the transformation preserves both the structure and dimension of the original vector space, making it an isomorphism.