How Do You Calculate the Magnitude of a Constant Vector in Different Dimensions?

In summary, the conversation is discussing the calculation of the magnitude of a vector in different dimensions. The symbol || is used to represent the magnitude and the poster is trying to clarify the notation. The solution involves finding the scalar length of the vector.
tomfrank

Homework Statement

Calculate ||1,1,1||in R3
Calculate ||1,1,1,1|| in R4.
Calculate ||1,1,...,1|| in Rn.

Homework Equations

All I have in this problem is that, Where do I start?

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What does ||1,1,1|| mean? This isn't a leading question; I want to know what that symbol is supposed to represent.

I'm guessing || means the magnitude, or the scalar length of the vector.

[Moderator's note: solution deleted]

Last edited by a moderator:
I would guess that too, but I'm trying to get the poster to write it correctly for starters. You wouldn't normally write a vector as 1,1,1.

Last edited:
it means the magnitude, i believe.

So how do you calculate the magnitude of a vector in R3, R4, Rn?

FAQ: How Do You Calculate the Magnitude of a Constant Vector in Different Dimensions?

1. What is a vector space?

A vector space is a mathematical structure that consists of a set of vectors and a set of operations that can be used to combine these vectors. The operations typically include addition and scalar multiplication, and the vectors can be represented by coordinates or other mathematical objects.

2. What is the difference between R3, R4, and Rn vector space?

The letters R3, R4, and Rn refer to the dimensionality of the vector space. R3 is a three-dimensional vector space, R4 is a four-dimensional vector space, and Rn is a vector space with n dimensions. The main difference between these vector spaces is the number of components required to represent a vector in each space.

3. How are vectors represented in R3, R4, and Rn vector space?

In R3, vectors can be represented by three coordinates (x, y, z). In R4, vectors can be represented by four coordinates (x, y, z, w). In Rn, vectors can be represented by n coordinates (x1, x2, x3, ..., xn). These coordinates can also be represented using matrices, column vectors, or other mathematical objects.

4. What are the operations that can be performed in R3, R4, and Rn vector space?

The main operations that can be performed in R3, R4, and Rn vector space are vector addition and scalar multiplication. Vector addition involves adding each component of one vector to the corresponding component of another vector. Scalar multiplication involves multiplying a vector by a scalar (a real number). Other operations, such as dot product and cross product, can also be performed in certain vector spaces.

5. What are some real-life applications of R3, R4, and Rn vector space?

R3, R4, and Rn vector spaces have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer graphics, and machine learning. In physics, these vector spaces are used to represent physical quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and force. In computer graphics, they are used to represent 3D and 4D objects. In machine learning, they are used to represent features and data points in high-dimensional spaces.