How Long Does it Take for a Motorcycle to Overtake a Car?

In summary, your error was calculating the motorcycle position incorrectly. You should have used xmo as the starting point for the new position function instead of t=0.
rtareen
Homework Statement
The motorcycle first takes the lead because its (constant) acceleration am = 8.40 m/s2 is greater than the car’s (constant) acceleration ac = 5.60 m/s2, but it soon loses to the car because it reaches its greatest speed vm = 58.8 m/s before the car reaches its greatest speed vc = 106 m/s. How long does the car take to reach the motorcycle?
Relevant Equations
ac = 5.6m/s2
am = 8.40m/s2
vcmax = 106m/s
vmmax = 58.8 m/s
2E0E3B09-8DA2-4F5E-9AF3-E51F178F3ED7.jpeg

Here is my attempt at the solution but I got the wrong answer. The right answer is t=16.6s. I know from the book (this is an example problem) that the motorcycle reaches its max speed at t=7.0s. But I don’t know where I made the mistake that is causing me to get the wrong answer afterwords.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your error lies in how you calculate the motorcycle position.
1576983971342.png

You're covering the time between 0 s and 7.0 seconds twice, since your xmo already covered that once.

gneill said:
Your error lies in how you calculate the motorcycle position.
View attachment 254545
You're covering the time between 0 s and 7.0 seconds twice, since your xmo already covered that once.

I don’t see why that’s a mistake. At t=7.0s the equation for the motorcycles position changes. It no longer has an acceleration, just a constant velocity. xmo is the starting point for this new position function.

rtareen said:
xmo is the starting point for this new position function.
The way it is written means that the ##v \times t## term assumes a starting time of ##t = 0##. That is not the case if it's contribution should only "kick in" at ##t = 7 sec##.

Likes PeroK
rtareen said:
I don’t see why that’s a mistake. At t=7.0s the equation for the motorcycles position changes. It no longer has an acceleration, just a constant velocity. xmo is the starting point for this new position function.

It seems that your answer of ##9.6s## is the time starting from when the motorcycle reaches its maximum speed (after ##7s##). The answer of ##16.6s## is the time from when both vehicles start. I.e. your answer plus the ##7s##.

PS after ##9.6s## the speed of the car is ##53.76 m/s##, so it's not yet reached the speed of the motorcycle.

Last edited:
PeroK said:
It seems that your answer of ##9.6s## is the time starting from when the motorcycle reaches its maximum speed (after ##7s##). The answer of ##16.6s## is the time from when both vehicles start. I.e. your answer plus the ##7s##.

PS after ##9.6s## the speed of the car is ##53.76 m/s##, so it's not yet reached the speed of the motorcycle.

So I just need to add 7s to the answer I got and I’ll have the correct answer. I can see why now. Thanks!

1. What is the racing problem in kinematics?

The racing problem in kinematics involves calculating the position, velocity, and acceleration of an object as it moves along a straight line at a constant acceleration. This problem is often used to introduce the concepts of displacement, velocity, and acceleration in introductory physics courses.

2. How is the racing problem solved?

The racing problem can be solved using the three main equations of motion: d = v0t + 1/2at2 for displacement, v = v0 + at for velocity, and v2 = v02 + 2ad for acceleration. These equations can be rearranged and used to solve for any of the three variables given the other two.

3. What are the key variables in the racing problem?

The key variables in the racing problem are displacement (d), initial velocity (v0), time (t), and acceleration (a). These variables are related through the three equations of motion and are used to calculate the position, velocity, and acceleration of the object at any given time.

4. How does the racing problem relate to real-world scenarios?

The racing problem is often used to model real-world scenarios, such as a car accelerating from a stop or a roller coaster moving along a track. By understanding the concepts of displacement, velocity, and acceleration, we can use the equations of motion to predict the behavior of objects in these scenarios and make informed decisions about their design and safety.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving the racing problem?

Some common mistakes when solving the racing problem include using the wrong units, not considering the direction of motion, and forgetting to include initial values. It is important to pay attention to units and use consistent units throughout the problem. Additionally, it is important to consider the direction of motion and use positive and negative signs to indicate the direction. Finally, initial values such as initial velocity or displacement must be included in the calculations to accurately solve the problem.