1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radiation calculation confusion

1. Mar 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

6. If the exposure rate from 137Cs at one metre is 2.50 mGy/h, how many bequerels are present?

2. Relevant equations

Exposure is a quantity that expresses the radiation delivered to a point at a certain distance.

I1d12 = I2d22
    I1 = the radiation intensity at distance d1 from the radiation source.
    d1 = the shorter distance from the source where the radiation intensity is I1.
    I2 = the radiation intensity at distance d2 from the radiation source.
    d2 = the longer distance from the source where the radiation intensity is I2.

I1 I2
    source* ------------>|----------> |
    ------------>| |
    d1 d2

3. The attempt at a solution

my issue is that it seems we are being asked to convert miliGrays to becquerels and im not sure how thats done, they seem to be a measure of different things from what i was taught so surely a conversion will be imperfect?

from looking around on the internet, it seems possible but via conversion through several intermediatry units. is that how this is meant to be achieved or is there a simpler method?
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 31, 2012 #2
    *shameless bump*

this 1 has stumped me a little sorry.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook