Radiation calculation confusion

In summary, the question is asking how to convert the exposure rate from 137Cs at one metre, which is 2.50 mGy/h, into the number of bequerels present. The equation given for exposure involves the radiation intensity at two distances, d1 and d2, from the radiation source. However, it is unclear how to convert between miliGrays and becquerels as they are different units of measurement. Research suggests that it is possible to convert between the two, but it may require multiple intermediate units. The person asking the question is unsure if this is the correct approach or if there is a simpler method.
murdrobe

Homework Statement

6. If the exposure rate from 137Cs at one metre is 2.50 mGy/h, how many bequerels are present?

Homework Equations

Exposure is a quantity that expresses the radiation delivered to a point at a certain distance.

I1d12 = I2d22
I1 = the radiation intensity at distance d1 from the radiation source.
d1 = the shorter distance from the source where the radiation intensity is I1.
I2 = the radiation intensity at distance d2 from the radiation source.
d2 = the longer distance from the source where the radiation intensity is I2.

I1 I2
source* ------------>|----------> |
------------>| |
d1 d2

The Attempt at a Solution

my issue is that it seems we are being asked to convert miliGrays to becquerels and I am not sure how that's done, they seem to be a measure of different things from what i was taught so surely a conversion will be imperfect?

from looking around on the internet, it seems possible but via conversion through several intermediatry units. is that how this is meant to be achieved or is there a simpler method?

Physics news on Phys.org
*shameless bump*

this 1 has stumped me a little sorry.

1. What is radiation and why is it important to calculate?

Radiation is the emission and transmission of energy in the form of waves or particles. It is important to calculate because it is present in various forms in our environment and can have both beneficial and harmful effects on living organisms.

2. How is radiation calculated?

Radiation is typically calculated by measuring the amount of energy emitted or absorbed by a material or object. This can be done using specialized instruments or mathematical equations based on known properties of the material or object.

3. What are the units used to measure radiation?

The most commonly used unit for measuring radiation is the becquerel (Bq), which measures the rate of radioactive decay. Other units include the gray (Gy) for absorbed dose, and the sievert (Sv) for equivalent dose.

4. What are some sources of confusion when calculating radiation?

Some sources of confusion when calculating radiation include different units of measurement, variations in radiation intensity over time and distance, and the effects of shielding or absorption on radiation levels.

5. How can I ensure accurate calculations of radiation?

To ensure accurate calculations of radiation, it is important to use reliable and calibrated instruments, double-check calculations and conversions, and consult with experts when necessary. It is also important to stay updated on any changes or advancements in radiation measurement techniques.