Calculate Laser Power Given Radiation Pressure & Absorption Rate

In summary, the problem involves finding the power of a laser when 50% of the light is absorbed, given an area and radiation pressure. The solution involves using the Poynting vector and radiation pressure equations to find the electric field amplitude, and then using the equation for intensity to solve for power. It is also mentioned that radiation pressure is influenced by the absorption or reflection of radiation on a surface.
Lindsayyyy

Homework Statement

A laser is focussed on an area A=0.1cm². The radiation pressure is p=10 pascal. Whats the power of the laser when 50% of the light is absorbed?

Homework Equations

I'm not sure, I tried it via:

Poynting vector:

[tex] S= \epsilon_{0}*c*E^{2} [/tex]

and radiation pressure

[tex]p=\epsilon_{0}*E^{2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Because 50% is absorbed I think the pressure has to be divided by two. I solved the equation of the Poynting vector, so I have E² and put that in the equation for the pressure and I just solved it then, the solution is: 6*10^9 W/m² which I think is pretty high, but to be honest I'm not good in evaluations.

Can anyone help me out? Where are my mistakes? I'm a bit wondered too, because I didn't use the area which was given at all (the exercise has two more tasks, but it doesn't look like I need that A somewhere later).

Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Intensity = sqrt(epsilon-not/mu-not)(Electric field amplitude)^2
Assuming no dielectric.

Hi Lindsayyyy!

This is what I found on wikipedia:
"Radiation pressure is the pressure exerted upon any surface exposed to electromagnetic radiation. If absorbed, the pressure is the power flux density divided by the speed of light. If the radiation is totally reflected, the radiation pressure is doubled. For example, the radiation of the Sun at the Earth has a power flux density of 1,370 W/m2, so the radiation pressure is 4.6 µPa (absorbed)."

Would this help you solve your problem?

1) How is laser power calculated using radiation pressure and absorption rate?

The laser power can be calculated by multiplying the radiation pressure by the absorption rate. This is because the radiation pressure is the force exerted by the laser on a surface, and the absorption rate is the amount of energy absorbed by the surface. Therefore, the product of these two values gives the laser power.

2) What is the relationship between radiation pressure and laser power?

The radiation pressure is directly proportional to the laser power. This means that as the radiation pressure increases, the laser power also increases and vice versa. This relationship is due to the fact that the radiation pressure is a measure of the intensity of the laser beam.

3) How does absorption rate affect the laser power?

The absorption rate has an inverse relationship with the laser power. This means that as the absorption rate increases, the laser power decreases and vice versa. This is because a higher absorption rate means that more energy is being absorbed by the surface, resulting in less energy being reflected as laser power.

4) What units are used to measure radiation pressure and absorption rate?

The radiation pressure is typically measured in units of pascals (Pa) or newtons per square meter (N/m^2). The absorption rate is usually expressed as a decimal value or percentage.

5) Can other factors affect the accuracy of the calculated laser power?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the accuracy of the calculated laser power. These include the reflectivity of the surface, the distance between the laser and the surface, and any other external factors that may affect the absorption and reflection of the laser beam.