Radiation Pressure: Exam Prep Questions & References

In summary, the conversation is about preparing for an exam on Monday and seeking clarification on a few concepts. The questions involve the relationship between p and E/c for a photon and a wave, the effect of reflection on radiation pressure, and a reference for understanding how polarization works. The response suggests consulting with the professor for clarification on the concept of reflection and recommends Hyperphysics as a good resource for understanding the concepts.
black_hole

Homework Statement

I have an exam on Monday and I'm trying to get a few concepts straight before then. I have a few questions...

1) p = E/c for a photon. Is this also true for a wave?
2) Assuming complete absorption, radiation pressure is 1/c x Poynting vector. What happens when there's reflection?
3) Anyone know a good reference for understanding how polarizes work? My notes aren't very good.

Thanks.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not 100% sure but I believe reflection is an absorption and re emission however I would consult with your professor because some tests and texts assume a photon bounces rather than becomes re emitted or phase shifted. Also Hyperphysics has some great overviews on the concepts ! I hope this helps!

1. What is radiation pressure?

Radiation pressure is the force exerted by electromagnetic radiation, such as light, on an object. It is caused by the transfer of momentum from photons to the surface of the object.

2. How is radiation pressure calculated?

Radiation pressure is calculated using the formula P = E/c, where P is the pressure, E is the energy of the radiation, and c is the speed of light.

3. What are some real-life applications of radiation pressure?

Radiation pressure has numerous applications, such as solar sails in space exploration, optical tweezers in biological research, and pressure sensors in astronomical instruments.

4. How does radiation pressure affect different types of objects?

Radiation pressure affects objects differently depending on their size and shape. Smaller objects with a larger surface area experience a greater force, while larger objects with a smaller surface area experience a smaller force.

5. How does radiation pressure relate to the radiation emitted by stars?

Radiation pressure is the force responsible for the outward pressure that counteracts the inward gravitational force in stars. This balance allows stars to maintain their shape and prevents them from collapsing under their own weight.