Radical ideals and submodules

• Thread starter alexfloo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radical
In summary, The conversation discusses the relationship between commutative algebra/algebraic geometry and linear algebra, specifically the concept of ideals and submodules. The conversation delves into the difference between ideals and submodules, and the question of whether the property of being radical depends on the multiplicative structure. It is mentioned that while there is such a thing as a radical submodule, it cannot be defined in terms of multiplication like a radical ideal can. Therefore, modules and ideals are two distinct entities and the correspondence between them is only through module isomorphisms.
alexfloo
I'm currently studying commutative algebra/algebraic geometry out of Cox Little and O'Shea's Ideal Varieties and Algorithms, and linear algebra out of Steven Roman's Advanced Linear Algebra. In Roman, I'm learning about modules, and I have a question about the relationship between these two fields.

An ideal is exactly a submodule of F[x1, ..., xn] as a module over itself. We know that an ideal over this set exactly determines a subset of the affine space Fn. On the other hand, affine subsets of Fn define radical ideals of F[x,y] which are in turn submodules.

Now outwardly, the property of being radical depends on the multiplicative structure of the ideal, which the corresponding submodule doesn't have. My question is whether the property of being radical depends innately on that multiplicative structure. Do submodules corresponding to radical ideals have any identifiable properties even without recognizing their multiplicative structure?

(Wikipedia tells me that there is such a thing as a radical submodule, but I don't think it's what I'm looking for.)

Physics news on Phys.org
This is the reason why modules and ideals are two different things. The correspondence is only a module isomorphisms, since modules do not carry a ring structure themselves. You cannot transport the definition of a radical ideal into the module language, since multiplication is missing. But this is already true for arbitrary ideals.

1. What are radical ideals and submodules?

Radical ideals and submodules are concepts in abstract algebra that describe certain types of subsets of a ring or module, respectively. They are closely related and share many properties.

2. How are radical ideals and submodules defined?

A radical ideal is an ideal in a ring that contains all elements whose powers are also in the ideal. A submodule is a subset of a module that is closed under the module's operation and contains the zero element.

3. What is the significance of radical ideals and submodules?

Radical ideals and submodules are important because they help to classify and analyze rings and modules. They also have connections to other areas of mathematics, such as algebraic geometry and representation theory.

4. How can radical ideals and submodules be computed?

There are various methods for computing radical ideals and submodules, depending on the specific ring or module in question. In general, it involves finding the elements that satisfy the defining properties and checking if they are closed under the appropriate operations.

5. What are some examples of radical ideals and submodules?

One example of a radical ideal is the nilradical of a commutative ring, which consists of all elements that have nilpotent powers. An example of a submodule is the radical of a module, which consists of all elements that annihilate some element of the module.