Radio Waves & Interaction with Matter

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of radio waves passing through walls and how their wavelength affects their interaction with matter. It also mentions the potential involvement of crystal spacing, light passing through glass, and quantum tunneling. There is also speculation about the low energy levels of radio waves and how it may explain their ability to pass through walls.
cragar
When radio waves go through certain walls , I was reading about this , do they go through the wall because their wavelength is too long to interact with the matter in the wall ,
Does it haft to do with the crystal spacing in the matter , and in some cases is it like light going through glass , do the radio waves get absorbed and re-emitted , And does this have anything to do with quantum tunneling , And obviously when i wrap my cell-phone in aluminum foil it won't get the call , Any input will be appreciated.

Science news on Phys.org
Im not too sure about this since I haven't read much about it, but I think it's because of its low energy levels.
As its with a long wavelength, most of the matter doesn't bother to absorb it, because it doesn't have enough energy to boost an electron to another level. So it should pass right through. Not sure though.

Thanks for the response , it seems like more people would respond to this.

1. What are radio waves?

Radio waves are a type of electromagnetic radiation that have long wavelengths and low frequencies. They are used for communication and can travel long distances without being significantly affected by obstacles or the Earth's atmosphere.

2. How do radio waves interact with matter?

Radio waves interact with matter through a process called absorption, where the energy from the waves is transferred to the atoms and molecules in the material. This can cause the material to heat up or vibrate, producing sound waves. Radio waves can also be reflected, refracted, or diffracted when they encounter different materials.

3. What is the relationship between the frequency of radio waves and their interaction with matter?

The frequency of radio waves has a direct impact on how they interact with matter. Higher frequency waves, such as microwaves, are more easily absorbed by water molecules and can cause heating. Lower frequency waves, like AM and FM radio waves, are less easily absorbed and can travel further without losing their strength.

4. Can radio waves cause harm to living organisms?

Radio waves are generally considered safe and do not cause harm to living organisms at the levels used for communication. However, exposure to high levels of radio waves, such as those used in industrial or medical settings, can have negative health effects. It's important to follow safety guidelines and limit exposure to high levels of radio waves.

5. How are radio waves used in everyday life?

Radio waves are used in a variety of ways in our daily lives. They are used for communication, such as radio and television broadcasting, cell phone signals, and WiFi. They are also used in radar technology for navigation and weather forecasting. Additionally, radio waves are used in medical imaging, such as MRI machines, and in industrial applications like heating and drying materials.