1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radius from Radial Acceleration

1. Nov 6, 2006 #1
    An unbanked circular highway curve on level ground make a turn of 90 degree. The highway carries traffic at 60 mph, and the centripetal force on a vehicle is not to exceed 1/10 of its weight. What is the minimum length of the curve in miles?

I am working towards the arc contained within the angle theta which is 90 degrees. I have easily determined that of course, that arc is 25% of the circumference. I am trying then to find the radius. I have worked backwards here, fiddling with Ar=V^2/R as well as MA = mv^2/r. I am stuck though. Not really looking for the answer, just a shove in the right direction as that I would REALLY like to get this one on my own. I just dont have the physics brain.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2006 #2
    Youre on the right track. Fc < MG/10. R must be greater than something
  4. Nov 6, 2006 #3
    With Fc being the centripetal force = Mass(Gravity)/10? Thats assuming a mass then, since I don't know it, right?
  5. Nov 6, 2006 #4
    Right, but it will cancel out as you suspect
  6. Nov 6, 2006 #5
    Because of the force of friction.. I seem to be getting more lost than I was now.
  7. Nov 6, 2006 #6
    They ask for centripetal force, which is a sum of forces. You don't need to split it up any further. Like I said, mv^2/r < mg/10. Note the mass on both sides. No arc length, no friction, but make sure to convert to SI
  8. Nov 6, 2006 #7
    Ah. Told you I have no capacity for physics. Or sleep these days.
  9. Nov 6, 2006 #8
    I figure a curve (arc) length of no less than 7.36 miles based on my work. Wow. There is no way that is right. Thats a heckuva curve. (the problem calls for the old british system. I would rather work SI, trust me.)
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?