Radius of Convergence for Power Series: Mathboy20

  • Thread starter Thread starter mathboy20
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Radius
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
mathboy20
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Hi

I'm told that the the power series:

[tex]\sum_{n=0} ^ \infty (2n+1) z^n[/tex] has the radius of convergens

R = 1.

Proof:

Using the Definition of convergens for power series:

[tex]\frac{(2n+1)}{(2n+1)+1} = \frac{(2n+1)}{(2n+3)}[/tex]

[tex]limit _{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{(2n+1)}{(2n+3)} = 1[/tex]

Therefore the radius of convergens is R = 1. Right ?

Second question: The Power series above suposedly diverges on every point on the circle of convergens. How do I show that?

I know that according to the definition of divergens of the power series:

[tex]\sum_{n = 0} ^{\infty} a_n z^n[/tex]

that [tex]a_n \rightarrow \infty[/tex] for [tex]n \rightarrow \infty[/tex]

Do I the use this fact here to show that a_n diverges ??

Best Regards
Mathboy20
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
mathboy20 said:
[tex]\frac{(2n+1)}{(2n+1)+1} = \frac{(2n+1)}{(2n+3)}[/tex]

I'm not following this step. I would use the ratio test for finding the radius of convergence.
 
I think this would be the proper way to evaluate the series:

[tex]\sum_{n=0} ^ \infty (2n+1) z^n[/tex]

so using the ratio test,

[tex]limit _{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{(2(n+1)+1) z^(n+1)}{(2n+1) z^n}[/tex]

[tex]limit _{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{(2n+3)}{(2n+1)}|z|[/tex]

Therefore, [tex]|z|<1[/tex]

implies that the interval of convergence is [tex]-1<z<1[/tex]

Therefore, the radius of convergence must be 1.
 
Hello and thank Your for Your answer,

Anyway if I then have show that the series diverges for all point on the circle of convergens.

Doesn't that mean that

[tex]\frac{2n+3}{2n+1}|z| \geq 1[/tex], where [tex]n \neq 0[/tex]

if n = 1

then [tex]|z| \geq \frac{3}{5}[/tex]

Am I on the right track here?

Best Regards
Mathboy20

kam.epi said:
I think this would be the proper way to evaluate the series:

[tex]\sum_{n=0} ^ \infty (2n+1) z^n[/tex]

so using the ratio test,

[tex]limit _{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{(2(n+1)+1) z^(n+1)}{(2n+1) z^n}[/tex]

[tex]limit _{n \rightarrow \infty} \frac{(2n+3)}{(2n+1)}|z|[/tex]

Therefore, [tex]|z|<1[/tex]

implies that the interval of convergence is [tex]-1<z<1[/tex]

Therefore, the radius of convergence must be 1.
 
Last edited:
mathboy20 said:
Hello and thank Your for Your answer,

Anyway if I then have show that the series diverges for all point on the circle of convergens.

Doesn't that mean that

[tex]\frac{2n+3}{2n+1}|z| \geq 1[/tex], where [tex]n \neq 0[/tex]

if n = 1

then [tex]|z| \geq \frac{3}{5}[/tex]

Am I on the right track here?

Best Regards
Mathboy20
n= 1 is not relevant. What is
[tex]lim_{n\rightarrow \infty}\frac{2n+3}{2n+1}[/tex]?