Radius of Convergence for (-1)^n(i^n)(n^2)(Z^n)/3^n in Complex Analysis

In summary, the radius of convergence for the given series is 3, which is determined using the ratio test. The norm of the terms must go to zero for the sum to converge.
Mattofix

Homework Statement

Find the radius of convergence of

(-1)^n(i^n)(n^2)(Z^n)/3^n

The Attempt at a Solution

i have got to lZl i (n+1)^2/3n^2

but am unsure how to complete it...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the sum to converge, the norm of the terms must go to zero.
So, what is:
[tex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty} \left | n^2 \left(\frac{-iZ}{3}\right)^n\right|[/tex]

How and why did you "get" that? At first I thought you were using the "root test" but that won't work with the n2.

(Am I correct that "n" is the index of summation and "i" is the complex base? If so |i|= |-1|= 1)

I would be inclined to use the "ratio test": a sequence [itex]\sum a_n[/itex] converges if the ratio [itex]|a_{n+1}/a_n|[/itex] converges to a number less than 1. Here, [itex]|a_{n+1}|= (n+1)^2 Z^{n+1}/3^{n+1}[/itex] so the ratio becomes [itex]((n+1)/n)^2 Z/3[/itex]. Since (n+1)/n goes to 1, so does ((n+1)/n)^2 and we have |Z|/3< 1. The radius of convergence is 3.

Related to Radius of Convergence for (-1)^n(i^n)(n^2)(Z^n)/3^n in Complex Analysis

What is the radius of convergence?

The radius of convergence is a mathematical concept used in power series to determine the set of values for which the series converges. It is denoted by R and can be calculated using the ratio test.

How is the radius of convergence calculated?

The radius of convergence is calculated using the ratio test, which compares the absolute value of the terms in a power series to determine if the series converges. The radius of convergence is the limit of this ratio as n approaches infinity.

What does it mean if the radius of convergence is infinite?

If the radius of convergence is infinite, it means that the power series converges for all values of the variable. This is typically seen in exponential and trigonometric functions, where the series converges for all real numbers.

Can the radius of convergence be negative?

No, the radius of convergence cannot be negative. It represents a distance from the center of convergence, so it must be a positive value. However, it is possible for the radius of convergence to be 0, which means the series only converges at the center point.

Why is the radius of convergence important?

The radius of convergence is important because it tells us for which values the power series is valid and accurate. It also helps us determine the convergence or divergence of a series, which is crucial in many mathematical and scientific applications.