Calculating Radius of Curvature for Upright Image Mirror

In summary, the mirror has a radius of curvature of 1.3 and produces an upright image within magnification of 8.88 when located 10.0 mm from a machine part.
DDRchick
A production line inspector wants a mirror that produces an upright image within magnification of 7.9 when it is located 10.0 mm from a machine part.
What is its radius of curvature?

I used:
r/2 = f
1/f=(1/do) + or - (1/di)
m=di/do

first i did 7.9=10/do
then i found that do=1.27mm
So then i did 1/f=1/1.27+1/10
I got f=1.3
Then i multiplied that by 2
(r/2)=f
So then i got 2.6
I tried -2.6 for the heck of it
and then i did it all again except i did:
1/f=1/1.27-1/10
and calculated it all out and it was still wrong.
Even when it was negative.
Argh. Help? =( Because i have 2 more like this. x.x

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi DDRchick,

DDRchick said:
A production line inspector wants a mirror that produces an upright image within magnification of 7.9 when it is located 10.0 mm from a machine part.

The question here is using the word "it" which can often cause trouble (and I think might be leading to a mistake in your work). Is it referring to the mirror's distance from the object, or the image's distance (because I've seen problems with the meaning both ways). From the wording though, I think it means that the mirror is 10mm from the object.

What is its radius of curvature?

I used:
r/2 = f
1/f=(1/do) + or - (1/di)

I don't think there would ever be a negative sign in this formula (though sometimes do or di can be negative values).

m=di/do

This formula need a minus sign:

[tex]
m=-\ \frac{d_i}{d_o}
[/tex]

first i did 7.9=10/do

d_i is the image distance (distance from image to mirror); I don't think that's what the 10mm refers to in the problem statement. I think when you change these three things you'll get the right answer (because your basic approach looks right to me).

Ugh It's still wrong. :/
Crap bucket.
di/10=7.9
di=79
1/f=1/79+1/10
f=8.88
r/2=8.88
8.88(2) = 17.76
I tried it with a negative sign too just for kicks, that was marked wrong also.
:(

DDRchick said:
Ugh It's still wrong. :/
Crap bucket.
di/10=7.9

Remember that I mentioned above that this formula needs a minus sign. So di will be -79mm.

di=79
1/f=1/79+1/10
f=8.88
r/2=8.88
8.88(2) = 17.76
I tried it with a negative sign too just for kicks, that was marked wrong also.
:(

Do you mean you just put in -17.76, or that you used the minus sign in the magnification formula? If you use di= -79mm, I believe the rest of your procedure is fine.

I mean i just put in -17.76...
Garr.
Well thanks for your help, it was due a day ago unfortunately, but i survived aha.
:)

What is the radius of curvature?

The radius of curvature is a measure of how curved a surface or object is at a specific point. It is the radius of the circle that best approximates the curve at that point.

How is the radius of curvature calculated?

The radius of curvature can be calculated using the formula R = (1 + (dy/dx)^2)^(3/2) / (d^2y/dx^2), where R is the radius, dy/dx is the first derivative of the curve, and d^2y/dx^2 is the second derivative of the curve.

What does a positive radius of curvature indicate?

A positive radius of curvature indicates a convex curve, where the curve is bulging outwards. This means that the curvature is increasing at that point.

What does a negative radius of curvature indicate?

A negative radius of curvature indicates a concave curve, where the curve is curving inwards. This means that the curvature is decreasing at that point.

How does the radius of curvature affect the shape of an object?

The radius of curvature is directly related to the tightness of a curve. A smaller radius of curvature means a tighter curve, while a larger radius of curvature indicates a more gradual curve. This can affect the overall shape and appearance of an object.