1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Radius of Curvature

1. Apr 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Derive an expression geometrically for the radius of curvature of the following beam. This is part of a lab assignment for the bending of a simply supported beam with overhangs.

** I did this crappy diagram with AutoCAD, so I couldn't ( or didn't know how to ) include greek letters. Let's let r= [tex]\rho[/tex], and d= [tex]\delta[/tex] for my derivation.

2. Relevant equations

a2+b2=c2

3. The attempt at a solution

I just used the pythagorean theorem to solve for [tex]\rho[/tex].

Starting with: [tex]\rho[/tex]2= ([tex]\rho[/tex]-[tex]\delta[/tex])2+(L/2)2.

Factoring out ([tex]\rho[/tex]-[tex]\delta[/tex])2 , solving for [tex]\rho[/tex] and simplifying , I end up with the following expression:

[tex]\rho[/tex]=([tex]\delta[/tex]/2)+(L2/8[tex]\delta[/tex])

I guess I have this question...is this the proper way to derive the radius of curvature geometrically? Is it ok to do it this way?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2009 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi Freyster98! :smile:

(have a rho: ρ and a delta: δ :wink:)

Yes, Pythagoras is fine :smile: (though you seem to have lost a factor of 2 somewhere :confused:).

But there is quicker method (with less likelihood of a mistake):

Hint: similar triangles :wink:

4. Apr 19, 2009 #3
    I ran through it a few times...I don't see where I'm losing a factor of 2.

5. Apr 20, 2009 #4

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

sorry … my similar triangles method (have you tried that yet?) gave me the diameter, not the radius :rolleyes:

so i got an extra 2 :redface:

6. Apr 20, 2009 #5
    Ok, thanks. No, I haven't tried the similar triangles because, well, I don't get it :uhh:

7. Apr 20, 2009 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

ok … the triangle with sides d and L/2 is similar to the triangle with sides L/2 and … ? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook