Radius of Curvature Derivation for Bending of Beam w/Overhangs

In summary: L/2 is similar to the triangle with sides L/2 and … ? :smile:In summary, the conversation discusses deriving an expression for the radius of curvature of a beam using geometric methods. The method of using the Pythagorean theorem is suggested, but a quicker method using similar triangles is also mentioned. The original poster also asks for clarification on whether their method is correct.
Freyster98

Homework Statement

Derive an expression geometrically for the radius of curvature of the following beam. This is part of a lab assignment for the bending of a simply supported beam with overhangs.

** I did this crappy diagram with AutoCAD, so I couldn't ( or didn't know how to ) include greek letters. Let's let r= [tex]\rho[/tex], and d= [tex]\delta[/tex] for my derivation.

Homework Equations

a2+b2=c2

The Attempt at a Solution

I just used the pythagorean theorem to solve for [tex]\rho[/tex].

Starting with: [tex]\rho[/tex]2= ([tex]\rho[/tex]-[tex]\delta[/tex])2+(L/2)2.

Factoring out ([tex]\rho[/tex]-[tex]\delta[/tex])2 , solving for [tex]\rho[/tex] and simplifying , I end up with the following expression:

[tex]\rho[/tex]=([tex]\delta[/tex]/2)+(L2/8[tex]\delta[/tex])I guess I have this question...is this the proper way to derive the radius of curvature geometrically? Is it ok to do it this way?

Attachments

• radius of curvature.jpg
    radius of curvature.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Freyster98 said:
Derive an expression geometrically for the radius of curvature of the following beam.

I just used the pythagorean theorem to solve for [tex]\rho[/tex].

Starting with: [tex]\rho[/tex]2= ([tex]\rho[/tex]-[tex]\delta[/tex])2+(L/2)2.

Factoring out ([tex]\rho[/tex]-[tex]\delta[/tex])2 , solving for [tex]\rho[/tex] and simplifying , I end up with the following expression:

[tex]\rho[/tex]=([tex]\delta[/tex]/2)+(L2/8[tex]\delta[/tex])

I guess I have this question...is this the proper way to derive the radius of curvature geometrically? Is it ok to do it this way?

Hi Freyster98! :smile:

(have a rho: ρ and a delta: δ :wink:)

Yes, Pythagoras is fine :smile: (though you seem to have lost a factor of 2 somewhere :confused:).

But there is quicker method (with less likelihood of a mistake):

Hint: similar triangles :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi Freyster98! :smile:

(have a rho: ρ and a delta: δ :wink:)

Yes, Pythagoras is fine :smile: (though you seem to have lost a factor of 2 somewhere :confused:).

But there is quicker method (with less likelihood of a mistake):

Hint: similar triangles :wink:

I ran through it a few times...I don't see where I'm losing a factor of 2.

sorry … my similar triangles method (have you tried that yet?) gave me the diameter, not the radius :rolleyes:

so i got an extra 2 :redface:

tiny-tim said:
sorry … my similar triangles method (have you tried that yet?) gave me the diameter, not the radius :rolleyes:

so i got an extra 2 :redface:

Ok, thanks. No, I haven't tried the similar triangles because, well, I don't get it :uhh:

Freyster98 said:
Ok, thanks. No, I haven't tried the similar triangles because, well, I don't get it :uhh:

ok … the triangle with sides d and L/2 is similar to the triangle with sides L/2 and … ? :smile:

1. What is the radius of curvature for a beam with overhangs?

The radius of curvature for a beam with overhangs is the distance between the center of curvature and the midpoint of the beam. It is typically denoted by the symbol R and is measured in units of length, such as meters or inches.

2. How is the radius of curvature derived for a bending beam with overhangs?

The radius of curvature for a bending beam with overhangs can be derived using the formula: R = EI/M, where E is the modulus of elasticity, I is the moment of inertia, and M is the bending moment.

3. Why is the radius of curvature important in beam design?

The radius of curvature is important in beam design because it determines the amount of stress and deflection that a beam can withstand without breaking. A smaller radius of curvature indicates a greater amount of stress and deflection, which can lead to failure of the beam.

4. How does the radius of curvature affect the strength of a beam with overhangs?

The radius of curvature directly affects the strength of a beam with overhangs. A larger radius of curvature results in a stronger beam, as it can withstand higher amounts of stress and deflection without breaking. On the other hand, a smaller radius of curvature results in a weaker beam, which may not be able to support the required load.

5. Can the radius of curvature be changed in a beam with overhangs?

Yes, the radius of curvature can be changed in a beam with overhangs by adjusting the design parameters such as the material properties, the shape and size of the beam, and the applied load. It is important to carefully consider the required strength and deflection limits when changing the radius of curvature in order to ensure the beam can safely support the intended load.