Rail Gun physics, need assistance

In summary, the Lorentz force is a force that is exerted on the coils of an inductor, pushing them apart. The railgun utilizes the Lorentz force to accelerate the projectile.
Yapper
I am working on a project for graduation and I am writing a paper on rail guns, but I am having trrouble understanding the basic principle behind it, Loretnz Force. I've tried to look online for a good site that explains it in laymens terms, but I can't seem to find one.

I know that current flows one way on one rail and int he opposite direction, connected by an armature. And a force is created pushing the armature forward.

Can someone explain why this force occurs?

I thought I read somewhere that the "opposite reaction" of the force pushing the projectile is a force pushing the rails apart. Is this true? And if so does that mean that it doesn't have recoil backwards like conventional guns and the "recoil" is sidewards?

Any other information about the physics of railguns would be very much appreciated. And please respond as if you where explaining it to a high school senior that is in the middle of his AP Physics BC course that has only done mechanical physics so far.

Physics news on Phys.org
Rail gun physics

The currents in the parallel conductor introduce a magnetic field, [itex]\vec{B}[/itex]. The same current [itex]\vec{I}[/itex]passes through the armature, which is perpendicular to the parallel conductors.

The force [itex]\vec{F}[/itex] is then given by [itex]\vec{F} = k \vec{I}\,\times\,\vec{B}[/tex], where k is a proportionality factor.

This is the Lorentz force on a charge q moving with speed v is given by [itex]\vec{F} = q \vec{v}\,\times\,\vec{B}[/itex]

See also -
http://www.railgun.org/physics/

and

http://www.physics.northwestern.edu/classes/2001Fall/Phyx135-2/19/railgun.htm [Broken]

Most college textbooks on Introductory Physics would provide the basic physics behind this.

Wires with currents moving in same directions are attracted to one another, and opposite currents repel. A strong reinforcement is then needed. With high currents and therefore high magnetic fields, the magnetic pressure may cause warping of the railgun.

The railgun does experience a reaction force from the accelerating projectile.

Last edited by a moderator:
I read both sites before here it states:

The current flowing through the field creates a Lorentz force on the inductor tending to push the coils apart. If one portion of the coil is free to move, this portion will slide in a direction which maximizes the size of the current loop.
In a railgun, the inductor is a single-turn coil consisting of the power source, rails, and armature. The armature is free to slide along the rails, so the Lorentz force causes it to slide along the rails, away from the power source.

It says the loretnz force pushes the coils apart, but what are the coils? They say that the rail gun is a single turn coil meaning one coil so what coilS are being pushed apart?

As you mentioned-
In a railgun, the inductor is a single-turn coil consisting of the power source, rails, and armature.

I corrected my original response. Parallel currents attract and anti-parallel currents repel - so in a railgun the rails or parallel conductors (with opposite currents) are pushed apart.

I have seen actual ballistic railguns in which the rails consisted of two curved conductors that were inlaid in a reinforced cylindrical insulator. The projectile was a specially designed round geometry, looking something like an armor-piercing shell. The current then arcs across the gaps between the projectile and the parallel rails. If design properly, the projectile does not touch the rails.

Thank you very much for the help.

One last clarification, so because the lorentz force is pushing the rails apart and the rails are held in place, the force is applied to the only part of the "coil" that can move, the armature, is this right?

Yes - the armature is free to move and is accelerated by the magnetic force imposed on the current flowing through the armature.

The structure supporting the rails will experience a force equal and opposite that of the projectile, and it will experience the force of the conductors (rails) being pushed against it.

With potentially high currents and magnetic pressures, this can be very dangerous if the structural support of the rails is not properly designed, i.e. it would be like a pipe bursting.

Ah ok, thank you very much. lol I am sorry but one more thing, if the equal and opposite force is applied to the structure then is there a backward force like conventional guns? if so where does that force come from if the force from the projectile is exerted sidewads?

*bumpidy bump bump*

Just the last question, planning to use it in the paper

Recoil does not depend on the mechanism used to accelerate the projectile.
Whenever you accelerate something, there is a force in the direction of acceleration. This is the force the gun exterts on the projectile. There is an equal and opposite force acting on the gun, which accelerates the gun. If you mount your gun on a concrete block, this block will be a part of the gun and therefore accelerated with it.

The forces which act perpendicular to the force acting on the projectile do not contribute to the reaction force. They cancel each other out because they are equal on both rails. So the reaction force must be acting on the whole gun.

So yes, rail guns do have recoil just as any other gun.

Oh ok, so even like a sling shot has backward recoil, ok... Thanks

1. How does a rail gun work?

A rail gun works by using electromagnetic force to accelerate a projectile along two parallel metal rails. A strong electrical current is sent through the rails, creating a magnetic field that propels the projectile forward at high speeds.

2. What is the advantage of using a rail gun compared to traditional firearms?

Rail guns have a number of advantages over traditional firearms, including higher muzzle velocities, longer range, and the ability to fire projectiles at hypersonic speeds. They also have fewer moving parts, making them more reliable and easier to maintain.

3. How is the velocity of a projectile in a rail gun determined?

The velocity of a projectile in a rail gun is determined by the strength of the electrical current, the length of the rails, and the mass of the projectile. By adjusting these factors, the velocity of the projectile can be controlled.

4. What materials are typically used to construct the rails in a rail gun?

The rails in a rail gun are typically made of a conductive material such as copper or aluminum. These materials have high electrical conductivity and can withstand the high temperatures and forces generated during firing.

5. Is a rail gun considered a viable weapon for military use?

Rail guns are still in the development and testing stages for military use, but they have shown promising potential due to their high muzzle velocities and long range capabilities. However, there are still technical challenges that need to be overcome before they can be used in practical military applications.