Rain's velocity with respect to a moving car

In summary, the car is travelling east at a horizontal speed of 44.4 km/h and the rain is falling vertically with respect to Earth. The angle between the rain and the vertical is 68.4 degrees.
Zem
A car travels due east with a horizontal speed of 44.4 km/h. Rain is falling vertically with respect to Earth. The traces of the rain on the side windows of the car make an angle of 68.4 degrees with the vertical.
(a) Find the velocity of the rain with respect to the car.

My attempt:
I thought perhaps I could model the solution from the problem involving the ground velocity of an airplane, as it flies through a wind that blows a different direction.

sin(theta)/V_rain = sin(90)/44.4 km/h

sin(68.4)/V_rain = sin(90)/44.4 km/h

44.4 km/h(0.930) = sin(90)(V_rain)
V_rain = 41.3 km/h

(b) Find the velocity of the rain with respect to Earth.
(Haven't attempted this one yet.)

All the
Zem

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say, with basic trigonometry, [tex]sin\theta = \frac{v_x}{v}[/tex], where [tex]v_x[/tex] is the horzontal speed of the rain (relative to the car), and v the "whole" speed.

b can be solved with tan (or alternatively, the Pythagorean theorem).

Zem said:
A car travels due east with a horizontal speed of 44.4 km/h. Rain is falling vertically with respect to Earth. The traces of the rain on the side windows of the car make an angle of 68.4 degrees with the vertical.
(a) Find the velocity of the rain with respect to the car.

My attempt:
I thought perhaps I could model the solution from the problem involving the ground velocity of an airplane, as it flies through a wind that blows a different direction.

sin(theta)/V_rain = sin(90)/44.4 km/h

sin(68.4)/V_rain = sin(90)/44.4 km/h

44.4 km/h(0.930) = sin(90)(V_rain)
V_rain = 41.3 km/h

(b) Find the velocity of the rain with respect to Earth.
(Haven't attempted this one yet.)

All the
Zem
Päällikkö has the right idea. You need to visualize what's happening.

There's a vertical component to the rain's velocity - directly towards the Earth. Relative to the Earth, there is no horizontal velocity to the rain.

There's a horizontal component to the car's velocity, but no vertical velocity.

Since your frame of reference in part a is the car, you have a vertical component and a horizontal component to the rain. The horizontal component is equal to the car's velocity (since the car is the frame of reference, the car appears stationary). The rain's linear speed can be found using the Pythagorean theorem and it has to be greater than either of its components.

In this case, you have the angle from the vertical and the horizontal component. Since you have the angle from the vertical, you use straight down as your reference point and rotate 68.4 degrees. You can work your way backwards via:

[tex]sin 68.4 = \frac{44.4}{V_{rain}}[/tex]

Part b can be found using the the answer from part a and the cosine of 68.4 degrees. Or, if you want to stick to the original givens (always gives better accuracy), you can use the tangent.

What is rain's velocity with respect to a moving car?

The velocity of rain with respect to a moving car is the speed at which the rain appears to be falling when viewed from inside the car. It takes into account both the speed of the car and the speed and direction of the rain.

How is rain's velocity affected by a car's speed?

The faster a car is moving, the faster the rain will appear to be falling when viewed from inside the car. This is because the car's speed adds to the velocity of the rain, making it seem like it is falling at a faster rate.

Does the direction of the rain affect its velocity with respect to a moving car?

Yes, the direction of the rain does affect its velocity with respect to a moving car. If the rain is falling in the same direction as the car's motion, its velocity will be higher than if the rain is falling in the opposite direction of the car's motion.

How can rain's velocity with respect to a moving car be calculated?

Rain's velocity with respect to a moving car can be calculated by taking the difference between the car's velocity and the velocity of the rain. This can be done using vector addition and taking into account the direction of both velocities.

What other factors can affect rain's velocity with respect to a moving car?

In addition to the car's speed and the direction of the rain, other factors that can affect rain's velocity with respect to a moving car include the wind speed and direction, the size and shape of the raindrops, and the aerodynamics of the car.